Boat ran into me, should I make him pay for damaged rubrail?

bosn buddy

Cadet
Re: Boat ran into me, should I make him pay for damaged rubrail?

Yhere is always Small Claims Court.

83ebbtide

Seaman Apprentice

Need a new car? Tell him you want the "you messed up my boat deal"!!! Have you priced out the rail yet? If we're not talking much money then he may be happy to pay up to avoid any problems. It is sad that people have gotten so lawsuit happy that you have to almost presume the worst and hope for the best!

Me personally, if I jacked up your boat I would do my best to make it right. That's the way I was raised!

Challenger84

Petty Officer 1st Class

If he was loading his boat how the heck does he hit the side of your boat with the back of his?
Why were you riding so close to him while he was loading?
Can you take a few pictures of the damage so we can see what kind of damage you have?

IMHO you are also at fault here in this situation. I know that's not what you want to hear.
There is no need to be that close to any boater loading and unloading thier boat.
If there is someone loading or unloading their boat at the ramp I circle around AWAY from the ramp til the other boat is clear of the ramp.
That's how everyone does it at the ramps I use.

Hope everything works out for you.
POST up some pictures!!

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's amazing how threads like this go to the crapper so quickly. If he damaged your boat in any way it's his responsibility to put it back like it was before he damaged it. And yes, even if that means buying a new rub rail for an old boat. Cars are no different...

Challenger84

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's amazing how threads like this go to the crapper so quickly. If he damaged your boat in any way it's his responsibility to put it back like it was before he damaged it. And yes, even if that means buying a new rub rail for an old boat. Cars are no different...

Yes cars are no different.
So if I was coming down the street and you happened to come out of your driveway and I hit you that would be your fault because I have the right of way.
Example :
If I was at the ramp and you happen to come back and try and tie up behind me too close while I was launching or retrieving and I scratched your boat a little while your not suppose to be there then I would consider that your fault because I have the right of way in this situation.
You created the hazard.
The right thing to do was wait your turn like everybody else.
IMHO

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

Personally, I'd price out the piece and buy it and replace it myself. Then I'd talk to the guy and tell him how much it cost and see if he owns up. I wouldn't charge for time or gas to go buy it or anything.

Accidents happen...I always try to go with the treat other how you'd like to be treated. If you rubbed his boat what would you be willing to pay for your mistake?

Brewman61

Ensign

I'd make sure to record the boat's registration ID, possibly the tow vehicle license plate, and also ask the person to see their ID, just to make sure you don't get dodged by someone presenting a fake business card.
I'd also be willing to show the other person my ID- just to show good faith.
Then give the person who hit you a chance to make it right. Work out a solution that is agreeable to both. If he's a standup guy, he'll work with you.
If not, small claims court is an option. You did say it's the principal of the thing, and that's great, buy you should put a dollar limit on your principals.
How much time, money, and effort will you be willing to put in, in the event this person decides to try dodge you?

oldjeep

Admiral

Personally, I'd price out the piece and buy it and replace it myself. Then I'd talk to the guy and tell him how much it cost and see if he owns up. I wouldn't charge for time or gas to go buy it or anything.

Accidents happen...I always try to go with the treat other how you'd like to be treated. If you rubbed his boat what would you be willing to pay for your mistake?

x2

Sounds like a reasonable approach for what happened. Total cost on fixing it yourself is likely going to be under $50

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Personally, I would call him up and talk to him, while the incident is still fresh. Tell him you tried to let it go, but the damage does bother you. See if he owns up to it and will make it better? If he handed a business card, he might actually be a stand up guy, and stand behind fixing your boat.

He would probably be happier knowing you called him to make it better. He might even buy you the new rubrail, who knows, even come help you out installing it.

I know in this day and age it's hard to believe, but there are some good people left.

45Auto

Commander

Subliminal said:

X3

If the cost is substantial enough to bother you, contact the guy and ask if he will pay for the parts. If he does - great. If not - don't worry about it. Karma will take care of him.

I'm a firm believer in karma, what comes around goes around. You have his card, you can track him down and help karma out a little if necessary! :D

ExxWhy

Seaman Apprentice

From the description of the incident, sounds like it was a multiple ramp setup and the OP was right where he should be, not a right of way issue.

I'm with 45auto, subliminal, and others on this, it WILL come out even in the end even if you never realize exactly how. I would personally see how much it is to fix it myself (assuming you have the skill set) and ask the guy to pay for parts and not worry about my time in this case. He might even offer to throw in something for that anyway. Either way, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Give him a chance to do the right thing. From what you said about the guy, I think the odds are good he will take care of it.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Based on your description, I don't think there is any grey area here. He damaged it and of course you should be compensated for the damage. I'd say some pictures would help me get a sense of the damages and condition of the boat. I get the sense your boat is older. I always wondered how insurance companies handle claims when a older, not pristine vehicle gets damaged. My wife hit a guy's trailer with our trailer a couple years back while parking at the ramp. We paid the guy 50$ for the broken tail light and his time. Not quite the same but I see trailer hits quite a bit and I'd bet nobody gets insurance involved. What would you think if he hit your 30,000$ dollar, pristine, newer boat? I know my level of concern would change if someone hit our older minivan versus one of our other vehicles. I'd still expect some compensation but much less concerned with being made 'whole'.

Purecarnagge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

honestly your going to spend 50.00 in time getting it out of this guy. I would have resolved this then at the ramp. I'll get it looked at Monday-Tuesday. Drop you a call with the figure. IF I can do it myself its just cost of the materials.

its up to you on how you pursue this, but I would have put a plan of action in place at the time of the accident.

Hope you've called him already, you should have. I'm sure he's thinking, I hope this guy isn't crazy about that minor boat accident.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

You talk like a guy with a paper butt for a mouth. :mad:

Did anyone ever figure out what this means. :confused:

I also think it's funny as heck but don't have a clue what it means.

45Auto

Commander

I'm the same way, I thought it was funny too although I wasn't sure what it meant. I just figured it was not complimentary and filed it away as probably something I DID NOT want to use when telling the wife what I thought of her ..... :eek:

can-amsledder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If he was loading his boat how the heck does he hit the side of your boat with the back of his?
Why were you riding so close to him while he was loading?
Can you take a few pictures of the damage so we can see what kind of damage you have?

IMHO you are also at fault here in this situation. I know that's not what you want to hear.
There is no need to be that close to any boater loading and unloading thier boat.
If there is someone loading or unloading their boat at the ramp I circle around AWAY from the ramp til the other boat is clear of the ramp.
That's how everyone does it at the ramps I use.

Hope everything works out for you.
POST up some pictures!!
That really all depends on the design of the ramp. If it?s wide enough for two boats with a dock on either side then I don?t see what he did wrong.

Totally agree with you!

jonesg

Admiral

But you failed to get his insurance info, a lawyer will now tell you its too late, a business card means nothing.

Forget about it.

Most Americans have forgotten how to be Americans.

bsktball55

Seaman

But you failed to get his insurance info, a lawyer will now tell you its too late, a business card means nothing.

Forget about it.

Most Americans have forgotten how to be Americans.

Not sure what that means. I think being American means to own up to your mistakes and make things right. Not let someone else damage your property and get away with it. He's not trying to rob the man, he just wants his boat returned to the way it was and he is willing to do the work himself. Sounds pretty damn American to me.

jonesg

Admiral

Not sure what that means. I think being American means to own up to your mistakes and make things right. Not let someone else damage your property and get away with it. He's not trying to rob the man, he just wants his boat returned to the way it was and he is willing to do the work himself. Sounds pretty damn American to me.

That describes what Americans are like now, as I said, you all forgot.
And obviously they aren't interested in being reminded or trying to remember.

The dealer didn't produce ins papers cause he's got none.
And now... it never happened.:(

soaringhiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, there is a lot of speculation on what this other person will or will not say or do, give the man a chance, talk to him.

If he is in the car bis then he most likely has a detail shop or contracts with one, he may well offer to run the boat through that.

I would just call him and talk. Anything else and you are not giving the guy a fair shake.