Heck of a day on the lake

Red_BOFUS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Today started out like any boater would want it too. I awoke with a very tingling sensation that goes with hitting the water, I sang, I danced and I encouraged my wife and kids to get on the ball. We loaded up, got fuel, 32 pounds of ice on the cooler and away we went.

We put in at the free dock at the River Park off highway 58 in Chattanooga, just below Chickamauga Lock. This really is a good place to put in at, nice ramp, good depth and a good long dock to accommodate in/out going traffic.

After putting in we went up river to let me son see the train bridge at the lock and came about and headed down river. The river was really smooth and calm and we were enjoying ourselves. Just pass Moccasin Bend I felt a ?surge? in the motor and the pitch change some. I adjusted power and it cleared up as long as I stayed at about 75% throttle max. I felt that I should turn around there, but wanted to make the trip we had planned for the day anyway. Cautiously I pressed on.

It was a few miles later that I really got to worrying and stopped the boat, lifted the outboard because I thought I might have slung a portion of my prop. Amazingly all I had was a stick float up. So I refired and went forward again. However I still had the surge and pitch issue but everything seemed to look fine, good temp, good volts, good RPM, bilge working fine.

Our destination today was Hales Bar Marina and their restaurant ?The Galley?. We?d heard some bad things about the place, but we liked the distance of the trip, the ride and wanted to try it outselves. It took us around 2 hours to make it to the Marina, we didn?t blast it there we just cruised at a good clip and enjoyed it. We arrived a little before the Galley opened and went up river passed the Nickajack Lock and came back up river, called in for the best place to tie up.

We tied up at the Ships Store, checked in and walked over to eat. The atmosphere was about what you?d expect from a converted barge to look like a paddle boat. The waitress was super friendly. We ordered and it wasn?t too long before we got our food. My wife said her burger was excellent. I know my hamburger stake was very good. My daughter enjoyed her mini burgers and son liked his nuggets.

The food quality was what you?d expect from any greasy spoon, pretty good groceries and a really neat setting and good service. The prices were a little on the high side, but you were eating on the river at a resort.

Our family has a series of fall color cruises planned and part of it included staying at the floating cabins at the resort so we stopped and asked to see one of them. On the way to see them the wife stopped by the boat to drop off some items when she called me with an issue.

I got there with the bow raised at a 20 degree angle and the stern in the water bad. I first thought I tied the back too tight, but when I saw the water I was sunk. I jumped in turned on the bilge and tried to get the water down. I spoke to the staff about a pump but they did not have one, but told me we could pull her out of the water and check the plug (I had already checked to ensure it had not fallen out and it had not). I tried to fire her but she?d idle but not motor her way over to the lift, so I got a tow over and we brought her out of the water.

I dropped the plug, she was tight, and tons of water started flowing out, it drained water for a solid 30 minutes or better. Eric, who was super helpful, checked over and found my boot had been torn and that had caused the water issue.

So here we were my wife, children, her friend and me, 30 or 40 miles from my truck, a boat that we could not head back up river in and the mechanic was off for the day. I was unsure what we?d do, until Eric volunteered to drive me to my truck. Very happy for the help, we took off for my truck in North Chattanooga from Hales, Tennessee. An hour later we arrived back with my truck and started getting my trailer ready to be loaded. My wife and children were allowed to relax in a cabin while this all went on.

As bummed as I was about the boot, the help and staff at the marina were awesome. The ride up was awesome, the meal was great and what is better than a day on the water with your wife and kids?

So I have to say stop in Hales Bar Marina if you ever have too they are awesome.

Also, anyone got a clue what a boot costs and anything about the change? Is it something I might try on my own or leave to a pro?

Chuck1a

Seaman
Re: Heck of a day on the lake

Glad everything worked. Now where are the pictures(Grin)

Red_BOFUS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll up load some later bro. Just sort of cooling off now.

I tell ya it might be worth a run up to try out the new managment of the Galley. She's had it since the end of last season.

Chuck1a

Seaman

After your review, we just may have to. We've talked about doing the fall color cruise from there.

Red_BOFUS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sweet man. The floating cabins arent that bad on price as well.

We have 6 cruises set up with a number of friends we we'll see the place pretty often if we go that or we may split and do half down and half up river.

I'll say this one more time, to have that kind of service and not get mugged because you are having issues a ways from your truck, was awesome.

Red_BOFUS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Took BOFUS in today for repair, other than how long it took them to get the parts it was painless. Dealer stepped up and repaired it on his dime and tossed in a new top and some bow railing..

Going to go to Parksville and do a test Friday morning before loading the crew up Saturday for a full fledged run. I'd hate to get stuck again so far from my truck.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

That's awesome that the dealer is helping you out, no questions asked - and then some.

Boy you've got a cloudless sky over your head these days:D

Red_BOFUS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The main reason I bought from these guys is, I could not find 1 single bad thing about them on the internet. I will buy from them again and send friends/family there way.

I just got done installing a Lowrance X95 that I picked up new in the box for 75 bucks and that looks like it will work super good too.

Rewired trailer lights again tonight too.

Cleaned her, waxed her and got her standing tall.

Red_BOFUS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lanier Marine Liquidators

Everything from complete boats to projects to parts...good folks for sure.

eavega

Lieutenant

The main reason I bought from these guys is, I could not find 1 single bad thing about them on the internet.

Wow, apparently you didn't search too hard. I'm not going to bad-mouth Lanier Marine (I've done business with them before), but these guys are definitely "Buyer beware". I'm glad you've had a positive experience with them. You need to shout your positive experience with them from the highest mountain to try to offset the mob of dissatisfied customers that Lanier Marine has managed to collect.

-Eric

Red_BOFUS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, apparently you didn't search too hard. I'm not going to bad-mouth Lanier Marine (I've done business with them before), but these guys are definitely "Buyer beware". I'm glad you've had a positive experience with them. You need to shout your positive experience with them from the highest mountain to try to offset the mob of dissatisfied customers that Lanier Marine has managed to collect.

-Eric

I can see that but it is not what I experainced.

TrybalRage

Seaman

Lanier Marine Liquidators

Everything from complete boats to projects to parts...good folks for sure.

Oh ok I've window-shopped online at their site. Eavega is right, I've seen mixed reviews, awesome to hear they took care of you.

I think it may be that they sell specifically 'project boats' in addition to their nicer ones, so people may often have higher expectations.

Red_BOFUS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We took off today and made this run once again and it was fantastic. A little cool to start but was good later in the day. Hardly any traffic on this side of the dam.

I?ll post some pics later.