Manual says do not soak carbs?

patrick4266

Chief Petty Officer
My 1991-70hp rude omc manual says to never soak carbs in carb cleaner. It says to clean the carbs with a mild aerosol solvent. It even shows a picture of gumout being used. I have been soaking carbs as I read in here that it is the thing to do. It also says to use no more than 25 psi to blow them out. I am expecting my carb kits tomorrow. Should I soak them, I took one apart and it looked clean. Also what is this about "lead shot", can I get by with out removing them?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Manual says do not soak carbs?

Newer carburetors are vacuum sealed with Imprex or a similar porosity sealant. Soaking in carb cleaner may remove the Imprex. Not a problem if there was no porosity to begin with. But if there was, and it was in a critical spot, you will lose a carburetor.

I rarely remove lead shots. And then only if I have a darned good reason to.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Manual says do not soak carbs?

If you want some good safe carb cleaner go to your local BRP dealer and have him get you 1 or 2 gals of Engine Tuner. Put in a bucket and soak your carb parts in that. I've used it plently of times and even left plastic carb bowls in it for two days and it never hurt them. Also works very good for stuck high pressure fuel pumps on EFI mtrs due to lack of proper maint. A little time and patience is the key.