No Power

scheffy

Recruit
I have a 1971 Mercury 650, S/N 315........ I bought it and the boat cheap several years ago. Last year I took the engine off to repair the hull. When I put it back together the engine started and idled fine. The problem I'm having is that it does not come up on plane as quickly, and with four people onboard it will not plane out at all, and pulling a skier is impossible. It sounds like the engine is over loaded, and that it does not reach the RPM it had before. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks.

usskydvr

Chief Petty Officer
Re: No Power

What kind of boat? and what prop are you using? Do you have a tach? if so what is the max RPM you can get with a NORMAL load in the boat? This could be a prop issue or a motor issue. What kind of compression do you have?

scheffy

Recruit

Thanks for your reply usskydvr.
The only question that I can answer is that the boat is a 1971 HyPlastics tri-hull. There is no tach so I cannot answer the RPM questions, and the prop is new.
Tomorrow I am running to get a compression gauge, and a timming light.

Today I ran into another problem. I am trying to adjust the shift cable, and the throttle cable. I removed the cables and put the lever on the engine into neutral. I measured the distance from the barrel socket to the shift lever post and adjusted the cable. When I went back to the engine it was i gear. I manipulated the lever on the engine and I cannot seam to find neutral. Any suggestions.

usskydvr

Chief Petty Officer

Good for you on figuring out your shift issue. What pitch prop is currently on the motor? How long is the boat? (I'm guessing 15-18 ft). Be sure to check your compression with all the wires off the plugs and the throttle wide open.