Chris Craft Boats

commander315

Petty Officer 1st Class
Chris Craft (Today) is a prestige make of boat. (and they have price tags to match). In the 80's, they had the same idea of quality materials, great designs, and an overall great fit and finish. However, these boats today are not appreciated at all, and people are trying to get them for prices like 10k.

So, heres the question part. I have an 85 315 Commander Sport Sedan. Nice condition, nice looking boat, teak accents all over, etc. A Grady White dealer wants to take it for 13k on a trade in, So heres my idea. I was looking at new Chris Craft boats and started to think what if i try to trade it in at a Chris craft dealer? Would I get a higher trade in number? It makes sense to me in a way because maybe they can appreciate a Chris Craft better then other boat dealers can... I could be wrong though.. So what is everyones ideas?
Thanks

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Chris Craft Boats

Having been in the auto sales business in a previous life, I would say they *might* give you a bit more. You could always hold out for more, too, at the CC dealer. They are going to have customers looking specifically for a CC, so it *should* be easier for them to move it. They'll start by offering you something low, but I think they'll end up going higher then the GW dealer. Most of the value given on any trade-in comes from the mark-up in the selling price of the new vehicle/vessel, and not from the trade-ins actual value. Actual value is actual value. So if CC has a bigger mark-up, they'll have more room to 'increase' the trade-in's value. Hope that makes sense.

You have nothing to lose by checking.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Took a look at a couple of Commanders on the net, one for $21K, the other for $20K...

I think what the problem is here is that CC didn't really "distinguish" themselves from the rest of the "fleet" out there during the 80s and 90s. My uncle had a 1962 62' Constellation (at that time about 6 years old) that was absolutely awesome, and everyone knew it was a Chris.

Nowadays, with Chris's new owners going back to their roots, the same aura is being seen. But there was a long period in between...if you know what I mean.

You're proud of her, she's in damn good shape, sell her on your own!

The Famous Grouse

Petty Officer 1st Class

You might get more for a trade at a Chriscraft dealer. And you might not.

It's going to depend on a multitude of factors, most of which have nothing to do with their "appreciation" of the boat and the fact it's a CC. How bad do they want to move a new boat, for example. Are there sales incentives, are they trying to clear inventory, etc, etc, etc.

The problem is you'll never really know for sure becuase even if they did give you more on the trade, who's to say they didn't make more off of you on the new boat? It's the old car dealer shell game, trade in goes up, new car price doesn't come down as much, less for the trade and then they can afford to go less on the new car.

Personally I think the dealers, regardless of make, are going to be pretty plugged in to what the local market for boats will bear overall. They aren't likely to pay above that unless of course they're making up for it on the new sale profit end. Since very few dealers will just deal in same-make trades, they have to be pretty aware of what the overall market will pay rather than just the values of one make.

Personally, I think you'd be better of deciding what new boat you want and then go with it. Get the best deal you can for your trade and if you're not happy you can always try a private sale.

Grouse