prop locking when you put it in gear

sltintexas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
with your engine off, is your prop supposed to lock and not go one direction when you put it in gear..and the opposite direction when put in opposite gear?

If the answer is yes, and it doesn't lock when I put it in reverse, what does that mean.

I just had the boat out and I know I had reverse?

background: I just removed my prop to grease the shaft and that is when I noticed it. could there be anything I didn't put back on right?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: prop locking when you put it in gear

What drive? Mercruiser (Alpha, Bravo, TR/S), Volvo, OMC (Cobra, stringer), Yamaha, BMW.... You get the picture....

sltintexas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

its in the original post, also below.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

When you shift to forward your prop should lock counterclockwise and be free clockwise, N free in both directions, Reverse, lock clockwise, free CCW. Removing and replacing the prop should have no effect. You could try adjusting your shift cable, Start at page 89 here: http://www.perfprotech.com/store/app_themes/ppt/images/tech-specs/alpha-shift-adjust.pdf You have a right hand drive if your prop locks CCW in forward.

sltintexas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so if it doesn't lock when I put it in reverse, what does that mean? I hear clicking.

I know I had reverse today as I can remember using it many times. could it be possible it is catching enough to spin the prop and giving me the false sense that all is well? I didn't use reverse at any high speeds. Just to back off the trailer, back away from the dock, and a few misc times out on the water.

achris

What drive? Mercruiser (Alpha, Bravo, TR/S), Volvo, OMC (Cobra, stringer), Yamaha, BMW.... You get the picture....

its in the original post, also below.

Where?

with your engine off, is your prop supposed to lock and not go one direction when you put it in gear..and the opposite direction when put in opposite gear?

If the answer is yes, and it doesn't lock when I put it in reverse, what does that mean.

I just had the boat out and I know I had reverse?

background: I just removed my prop to grease the shaft and that is when I noticed it. could there be anything I didn't put back on right?

If it's an older Mercruiser the cable could be out of adjustment....

sltintexas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

achris,
do you have some funky settings where you can't see signatures maybe.. its all there.

1997 SeaRay 175
3.0LX Mercruiser
Alpha 1 Gen 2

sltintexas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just went out and confirmed, prop spins when motor is on and reverse is engaged via throttle. weird.

achris

achris,
do you have some funky settings where you can't see signatures maybe.. its all there.

1997 SeaRay 175
3.0LX Mercruiser
Alpha 1 Gen 2

This is what I saw.....

attachment.php

Attachments

• screen dump.jpg
    screen dump.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 2

sltintexas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats weird, you don't even see your own signature.

OK, back on topic.

I'll take a look at adjusting the cable.

Attachments

• wierd.JPG
    wierd.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 0

achris

OK... Don't know what's happening, but at least I know what you have....

In forward gear the prop should be locked if you try to turn it backwards, and it should ratchet (click) when you turn it forward (clockwise as you look at it).

In reverse gear the prop should be locked if you try to turn it in froward, and it should ratchet (click) when you turn it backwards (anti-clockwise as you look at it).

This is normal.....

Chris........

sltintexas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks.

When I put it in reverse I get clicking.... but with the motor on, I do get reverse.

I'll take a look at adjusting the cables.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Chris,
Go to your user CP (user control panel) then Edit Options then scroll down till you see what is shown in the picture below and make sure the "Show Signature" box has a check in it. Then click on save.

attachment.php

Attachments

• signatures.jpg
    signatures.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 0

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I wondered how you missed it Chris, guess the signature got lost somewhere on the way across the Pacific.:confused: Did mine show up?:D

achris

Chris,
Go to your user CP (user control panel) then Edit Options then scroll down till you see what is shown in the picture below and make sure the "Show Signature" box has a check in it. Then click on save.

Will do, Thanks Don....

achris

I wondered how you missed it Chris, guess the signature got lost somewhere on the way across the Pacific.:confused: Did mine show up?:D

I wasn't seeing anybody's signature.... Don's pointed me in the right direction, and now I see everybody's... :D:D:D:D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I wasn't seeing anybody's signature.... Don's pointed me in the right direction, and now I see everybody's... :D

Now you know why I get the big bux :p :p ;)