Force 125 Flywheel problem

easy e

Cadet
Hi, I'm new to this site, and boating. I purchased a 89' Bayliner Capri with a Force 125 last fall. I have spent this summer getting it into shape. The boat looks great, and everything works great except the motor. Number 2, & 3 cylinders have not spark. I've done my own trouble shooting, and believe I have a bad trigger. Spec calls for 48 to 52 ohms on the trigger wiring. Number 2 & 3 show 53.5 and 53.7 ohms. I was going to order a new trigger, and decided to remove the old one to see if there was a part number. When I removed the flywheel, the magnet ring did not come off with it. The magnet was resting on the stator. My question is; should the magnet be secured to the flywheel?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Force 125 Flywheel problem

Magnet is supposed to be epoxied to the flywheel. It has to be spinning around the stator windings in order to generate the voltage to power the CD Modules and charging system.

easy e

Cadet

I'm not an electrical expert, but that's what I thought. This must have just happened, because the motor did run. It just had the misfire. Do you by any chance know how critical the resistance is on the trigger wires? I think it's the trigger, because the wires that are out of range are for the two cylinders that have no spark. Thanks for your help.

easy e

Cadet

I'm not an electrical expert, but that's what I thought. This must have just happened, because the motor did run. It just had the misfire. Do you by any chance know how critical the resistance is on the trigger wires? I think it's the trigger, because the wires that are out of range are for the two cylinders that have no spark. Thanks for your help.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Clean it up REAL good and use a thin strong glue.Make sure it goes back in as close to the original spot.Then try the tests again.Very rare the trigger goes bad.Retest and see if that helps.Then test the stator.J

easy e

Cadet

I did epoxy the magnet. Unfortunately, I did not pay attention to how it was originally installed. It's raining here in Milwaukee, so I haven't restarted, or tested anything yet. Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate your help.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Since there are multiple magnets in the flexibile strip, ans since these magnets rotate past the poles of the stator, it doesn't matter where the gap is. The only important thing is that the magnetic strip is APPROXIMATELY centered vertically on the stator when the flywheel is put back on the shaft.

The triggers simply are coils that the center magnet rotates past. They generate a small signal voltage to the CD box. I don't think a difference of one ohm (2%) will make a difference between spark and no spark. Remember: 2% could be the margin of error in your VOM.

easy e

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I did get the magnet centered. I was ready to buy a trigger, but I don't want to purchase something if it's not going to solve my misfire problem. From what I've tested so far, everything seems to be ok in the ignition system, except for the slightly out of range resistance readings on the trigger. On the stator, I only tested resistance. The manual says to test for voltage output. This requires a peak reading voltmeter, which I do not have. My misfire is on #2 & 3 cylinders. If I switch the trigger wireing for #1 & 2 cyl, then I have no spark on #1, but I do have spark on #2. So I believe the modules, and coil packs are ok. Those items also showed good resistance readings. I think I'll go buy a peak reading voltmeter so that I can finish checking the stator. I appreciate your help.
Ed