Evinrude 30 high speed miss

woonie

Recruit
My 1990 Evinrude 30 HP runs and idles fine, but after between 10-30 minutes at 3/4 throttle or more it goes VROOM...VROOM...VROOM as if it is getting just squirts of fuel. If I kill the engine and restart it runs fine again but only for a short time until the miss begins again. I have swapped hoses and tanks and tried forcing fuel with the bulb: no help. Is it a fuel issue? Another suggestion was the thermostat sensor.

opag07

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Evinrude 30 high speed miss

I seem to have the same problem over a period of a month with a 1986 30hp evinrude as well. For starter I will be working on the carb and seek a proper:cool: fuel mixture. It might be a start.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Try pumping the primer bulb when the problem happens, could have a fuel pump going out and pumping the primer bulb will take the place of the pump.
You do have a high speed jet that could be plugged, but it should not take that long to run out of gas.

opag07

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, for a quick response and yes the first couple of times I"ve done the bulb thing and kept the bulb suck in for a moment till I release either the tank cap or line and manage to return to dock for further detailing.....I also turn down the carb due to too much of a mixture...would that sound right before things started happening?

opag07

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, there must be a solution to this problem and much more to do.........??????????

woonie

Recruit

Pumping the bulb doesn't help. I'm thinking about the fuel filter or somewhere else in the system where there could be just a little crud that partially blocks a line and then falls back when the fuel pressure stops (when I kill the engine). I'll check.