Funny Story

BAproject

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is the story of my first launch.....I know some of you will find endless amusement in my experience.

Finally splashed my 91 Capri for the first time since buying it last years (it sat idle for the prior 5 years before I bought it).

It was beautiful Friday afternoon, and I was like a kid on the first day of school....nervous, excited and impatient. I pull the boat down the launch ramp. so far so good. Keep in mind this boat has sat on the bunks for 6 years an is in essence glued to the trailer. I have a friend with me top help out (thank god)!

I'm in the boat, drop the drive into the water and fire her up, split second and she's purring. I'm thinking, well, that went smoother than I thought. Here comes the un-gluing, it takes 10 minutes to free the boat from the trailer. Finally she's in the water! And luckyily for me completely stuck in reverse gear.....I try neutral, nothing, forward, nothing. I am slowly backing towards another boat tied to the dock....cutting the wheel hard it was a near miss, I mean less than an inch....my heart is pounding as I am still trolling backwards in reverse.

I can't cut the engine because I really wasn't looking forward to drifting into the yacht right behind me. As I am doing donuts in reverse, my buddy yells "what's that bungee cord on the back for!?!" Ugg, I bungee the drive to the metal bars in the back for transport and forgot to take it off.

I un-bungee it, everything straightens out, but still no neutral. There's 10 people on the dock watching me do this...so now I am embarrassed and wondering what the hell to do. One guy on the dock yells, I think you're still in reveres.....My response "yes I am aware of that"....thinking what an as%$#@! Another guy reaches out one of those hook poles and tries top bring me in....didn't work, pole is attached to the front rail as I drift back away from the dock...the harbormaster roles bye, looks at me and says "looks like a an f'ed up unicorn"....very helpful comment IMHO.

Finally I get to the next dock over. kill the engine and calmly drift in. Mind you I still want to get her going, so I grab my tools, mess around with throttle a bit and get her working again. My friend is holding the boat, and keep this in mind for later in the story, he also has a pile of stuff on the dock, including my truck keys (he pulled the trailer up the ramp for me).

Finally we are sea-bound, trolling through the harbor, running great. Get past the breakers and slowly open it up, the stress off the past 25 minutes melts away as I fly 40+ on the open water, felt amazing, a year of work finally giving something back. 2 Minutes later, engine jumps to 200 degrees, ug, dropped it down and wouldn't cool. I shut it off. Sat there for about 10 minutes and restarted, figured I would troll back to the ramp and bring her home...nope, overheating still....shut it off again. Lift the doghouse and she's hot to the touch, look down in the bilge and see that I have a small screw sized hole in there squirting water. Now I have a wonky throttle, overheated engine and a hole in the boat. So I did what anyone would do. Put the cover back on went to the cooler and grabbed a beer for my buddy and I.

We hang for a 1/2 hour, turning the bilge pump on from time to time and I go to fire it back up....click....click....click. Time to calls Seat Tow, I get thru, they tell me my membership is expired....mind you I started the membership on Monday of that week....I unleashed the fury of hell on this poor women because I had finally had it, less than 10 minutes later I am being towed back to the dock.

We get back and I ask my friend for the truck keys, nothing, they're gone, most likely sitting in the bottom of the harbor somewhere. I have the tow boat pinning me against the dock while we search for the keys like lost puppy dogs, nothing. Have to call the wife and have her drive 45 minutes with a spare set of keys, so i can get the beast out of the water.

Finally have trailer int the water, tow boat is long gone...no power still. My buddy pushes the boat to me from the dock (appx 15 feet away), I am literally standing on the trailer like a punter waiting for the football. Boat comes over and pushes me right off the trailer into the water....I am soaked, lost a flip flop and look like an absolute moron trying to hand maneuver the boat perfectly onto the trailer....It works.....I pull away from the launch.

After all of that, my friend looks at me and says, I quote "That could have gone much worse", I laughed as I got in the truck and pulled away.

backyardhockey2

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Funny Story

Great story. I've heard Tennis is a great activity. Maybe something to think about?;)

BAproject

Petty Officer 1st Class

trust me...plenty of thoughts went through my head that day!

JimKW

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good story, and I agree with your buddy, it could have been worse. Nobody got hurt and the boat didn't sink and you got to have a beer out on the water in your boat.

BAproject

Petty Officer 1st Class

Totally agree!!! I got to go fast and have a beer. It was a really funny comment at the time, I'm a bit of a pessimist and he's obviously the optimist :)

-BAproject

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

Boats are like pack animals. Your boat just needed to establish domination over you. I'm sure you'll get along fine now.
Thanks for the story. Especially loved paragraph 6 :D

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

Awesome!!! I thought I was the only one who things like that happen to. Too funny! Glad all are safe and boat is still floating.

superbenk

Commander

Hilarious! I feel horrible for you, but thanks for sharing. Don't give up - it gets easier with practice :)

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey man,
I had something similar when we were trying to start the damn motor for 20 minutes, then when it started and idled fine and we took off it started overheating. Because of those 2-3 minutes on WOT I got so hooked on boating that it was worth it!
Funny how little one needs to be happy and how much struggle we are ready top take to get there ;)

shopboy

Seaman Apprentice

Stories like this make me feel a lot better about my rookie mistakes.. This

weekend I will have the Girlfriend,Kids, Parents, and Uncle on my newly repaired boat for its maiden voyage.

The kids just love to drape their legs off the front of the boat while running through bigger boats wakes.

Should be awesome with the newly installed engine and alternator from my old smashed up camaro. ...

My mom will be manually operating the shifter cable thingy from the back of the boat.

It only runs rough above 3000 rpm so I bypassed the fuel filter thingy.

I think some sea foam should fix the backfiring.

While I was installing the motor it sank down into those

special spongy marine motor mounts a little but I pulled it back up with a

prybar... I guess those sawdust filled thingys help with vibration.

Good thing cops don't have boats, cuz I sure can't afford another DUI.

superbenk

Commander

weekend I will have the Girlfriend,Kids, Parents, and Uncle on my newly repaired boat for its maiden voyage.

The kids just love to drape their legs off the front of the boat while running through bigger boats wakes.

Should be awesome with the newly installed engine and alternator from my old smashed up camaro. ...

My mom will be manually operating the shifter cable thingy from the back of the boat.

I hope this is a joke, but honestly, I can't tell.

All of that sounds like a recipe for disaster & personal injury. Automotive engine parts shouldn't be used in a boat - that's a good way to blow yourself up (I'd think especially an alternator or any other high-power electrical engine parts where the chance for spark is relatively high). I don't know what you mean by "fuel filter thingy", but that sounds really dangerous too. Messing with modifying the fuel delivery parts while running automotive bits on your engine just screams explosion IMO. Then you have your mom huddled over the motor working the gears???? How does that work in an emergency? She'll really appreciate the lack of a face when the engine blows up underneath her, I'm sure.

Scary.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

That story made my day. Thanks for the chuckle at 'looks like you're still in reverse'.

BAproject

Petty Officer 1st Class

These seem like different "types" of mistakes. And is you're entire electrical system ignition protected, if not, then that's really bad?
I left the family at home for the maiden voyage...it was a good call!
-BAproject

BAproject

Petty Officer 1st Class

No Prob, AIRDVR1227, yes that was one of those comments that are super helpful hahahaha.

It was a good way to find out what still needs to be done on her....and puttign it in the water is the only true way to do it

-BAproject

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is the story of my first launch.....I know some of you will find endless amusement in my experience.

Finally splashed my 91 Capri for the first time since buying it last years (it sat idle for the prior 5 years before I bought it).

It was beautiful Friday afternoon, and I was like a kid on the first day of school....nervous, excited and impatient. I pull the boat down the launch ramp. so far so good. Keep in mind this boat has sat on the bunks for 6 years an is in essence glued to the trailer. I have a friend with me top help out (thank god)!

I'm in the boat, drop the drive into the water and fire her up, split second and she's purring. I'm thinking, well, that went smoother than I thought. Here comes the un-gluing, it takes 10 minutes to free the boat from the trailer. Finally she's in the water! And luckyily for me completely stuck in reverse gear.....I try neutral, nothing, forward, nothing. I am slowly backing towards another boat tied to the dock....cutting the wheel hard it was a near miss, I mean less than an inch....my heart is pounding as I am still trolling backwards in reverse.

I can't cut the engine because I really wasn't looking forward to drifting into the yacht right behind me. As I am doing donuts in reverse, my buddy yells "what's that bungee cord on the back for!?!" Ugg, I bungee the drive to the metal bars in the back for transport and forgot to take it off.

I un-bungee it, everything straightens out, but still no neutral. There's 10 people on the dock watching me do this...so now I am embarrassed and wondering what the hell to do. One guy on the dock yells, I think you're still in reveres.....My response "yes I am aware of that"....thinking what an as%$#@! Another guy reaches out one of those hook poles and tries top bring me in....didn't work, pole is attached to the front rail as I drift back away from the dock...the harbormaster roles bye, looks at me and says "looks like a an f'ed up unicorn"....very helpful comment IMHO.

Finally I get to the next dock over. kill the engine and calmly drift in. Mind you I still want to get her going, so I grab my tools, mess around with throttle a bit and get her working again. My friend is holding the boat, and keep this in mind for later in the story, he also has a pile of stuff on the dock, including my truck keys (he pulled the trailer up the ramp for me).

Finally we are sea-bound, trolling through the harbor, running great. Get past the breakers and slowly open it up, the stress off the past 25 minutes melts away as I fly 40+ on the open water, felt amazing, a year of work finally giving something back. 2 Minutes later, engine jumps to 200 degrees, ug, dropped it down and wouldn't cool. I shut it off. Sat there for about 10 minutes and restarted, figured I would troll back to the ramp and bring her home...nope, overheating still....shut it off again. Lift the doghouse and she's hot to the touch, look down in the bilge and see that I have a small screw sized hole in there squirting water. Now I have a wonky throttle, overheated engine and a hole in the boat. So I did what anyone would do. Put the cover back on went to the cooler and grabbed a beer for my buddy and I.

We hang for a 1/2 hour, turning the bilge pump on from time to time and I go to fire it back up....click....click....click. Time to calls Seat Tow, I get thru, they tell me my membership is expired....mind you I started the membership on Monday of that week....I unleashed the fury of hell on this poor women because I had finally had it, less than 10 minutes later I am being towed back to the dock.

We get back and I ask my friend for the truck keys, nothing, they're gone, most likely sitting in the bottom of the harbor somewhere. I have the tow boat pinning me against the dock while we search for the keys like lost puppy dogs, nothing. Have to call the wife and have her drive 45 minutes with a spare set of keys, so i can get the beast out of the water.

Finally have trailer int the water, tow boat is long gone...no power still. My buddy pushes the boat to me from the dock (appx 15 feet away), I am literally standing on the trailer like a punter waiting for the football. Boat comes over and pushes me right off the trailer into the water....I am soaked, lost a flip flop and look like an absolute moron trying to hand maneuver the boat perfectly onto the trailer....It works.....I pull away from the launch.

After all of that, my friend looks at me and says, I quote "That could have gone much worse", I laughed as I got in the truck and pulled away.

Well at least nobody got hurt. Sounds like overall you learned alot thou? We all do all the time. It will get better with more practice. Good think you had your buddy with you.

Huhh?

JoLin

Vice Admiral

That was great. Thanks for the chuckles :)

I think most of us have similar stories- I know I certainly do! And, aren't the comments from the onlookers always just soooo helpful? (I loved the 'looks like a f'd up unicorn' comment. Priceless.)

Good luck and good (future) boating!

shopboy

Seaman Apprentice

to Superbenk,

it was an attempt at dark humor.. Sorry

:rolleyes:

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Very entertaining story, glad you and your keyless buddy came out ok. Sounds like you have a great attitude and even better sense of humor. Better luck on your next outting and we await the details!