looked at used mtr 4 sale , it did a strange thing -135 optimax

edwardh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I looked at a 1999 135 merc optimax today, mounted on a boat on a trailer, and without me asking, the owner said "hey want to see it run". he said he had run it "last month" - I went by his house unexpected so I doubt he had just run it.

he pumped the fuel bulb, once, put the ears on and turned the key, the starter rolled over quick for a second then it fired and ran just long enough for you to say it had started - maybe 1 sec or two and then very very sharply cut off almost like a lock up. He did this 10 times it would not run. except like I just said.
What I could not figure was that it did not spool down with a pop pop like outboards usually do just this very sudden stop,

wazup??

zorak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: looked at used mtr 4 sale , it did a strange thing -135 optimax

I'm not clear though,will it still turn over and just not start?If it will not turn over ( as in locked up )then I think i would run for the hills on that one!!!! If it will turn over and compression is good then i might go for it if the price is right.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My Optimax shuts down pretty abruptly, but only when I turn the key off. I'd only keep looking if it's fixed, or if the price is really good. Why buy a motor that isn't running right from the get go (unless the price is right).

edwardh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if your opti shuts down quick/abrupt then thats what this one is doing.