89' 8hp gearcase will not seat all the way

Grady19

Cadet
I changed the water pump impeller and now the gearcase will not seat all the way back on the leg. It goes all the way on except for a 1/8''. When I tighten the 3 bolts that hold it on the gears start to bind and the prop is hard to turn by hand. I removed the drive shaft and the gear case seats all the way with no effort. The shaft appears insert properly in the gearcase end. I also put the shaft in the powerhead end and it appear to insert all the way. When I try to put it back together I still get the 1/8'' of gap and it binds once I tighten it.

btw- When I first removed the gearcase to replace the impeller the drive shaft was stuck in the power head end. I had to put vice grips on it and hit out with a hammer to remove it. I have since cleaned the splines and it inserts and removes without effort into the power head end.

Any help or ideas?

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 89' 8hp gearcase will not seat all the way

Make sure theres no grease on the end (top) of the shaft, otherwise you'll get a hydraulic lock.

Grady19

Cadet

Thanks jonesg

I have made sure there is no grease on the end. I can hear it clank when it bottoms out on the crank.

Is there anything between the spline socket and the crank that may have moved when I removed the shaft. A seal or pressed fitting maybe that needs to be seasted so the shaft goes in a little further?

Grady19

Cadet

Thanks jonesg

I have made sure there is no grease on the end. I can hear it clank when it bottoms out on the crank.

Is there anything between the spline socket and the crank that may have moved when I removed the shaft. A seal or pressed fitting maybe that needs to be seasted so the shaft goes in a little further?

AlTn

Commander

is there a groove below the splines on the upper part of the driveshaft?..if so, and the o ring isn't present...maybe it's dislodged and stuck in the crank end?..is the shift rod holding things up?...I'd suggest taking the cowl off and standing the motor on a rag/towel on the flywheel and inspecting that crank end...maybe it's just gunked up and needs cleaning