A question about naming a boat

pkersteve

Cadet
Ok folks I know this might be seen by some as putting the cart before the horse but I have to ask. I have two possible names that I would like to call my boat, (when I eventually get one). The First is Brumagem, this is the old name for Birmingham England, the other is take a deeeep breath folks, Llanfairpwthinglegogaryquindrubballandisiliogogogoh. This is actually the longest place name in the UK, it's a tiny little village on the isle of Angelsea, just off the north coast of Wales, the place name is almost as long as the place itself, and yes I can pronounce it. If you want to try, the "ll" is pronounced thl all the other letter are the same as English

The questtion is are either of these names permissable for use as a boat name, I would LURRRRRRRRRRRRVE to see the coastguard try to get his/her tongue around the Welsh one ;) :D :eek:

NYBo

Admiral
Re: A question about naming a boat

Well, most who do that kind of work (lettering a boat) charge by the letter...;)

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

You will definately need to buy a straight inboard, since you will need a full size transom to get all the letters to fit.

Also, you need top practice saying it 3 times fast, cause you will need to when calling on your VHF.

iop

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One coastie to the other: "What boat are we going out to rescue again???"
Answer: "STFU!!" :) :) :)

pkersteve

Cadet

Regarding the size of the boat, I reckon that I'd have to get a VERY WIDE BODY Houseboat to be able to fit that little lot on the stern, 51 letters, at roughly 6 inches to the letter, would be 25.5 feet make it 26 to accomodate the capital initial letter, then you have the rest of the stern to add on to that, and you have one VERY WIDE BOAT.

Well it'd be one way of cutting down on boating tickets, by the time you've explained how to pronounce it, they'd have forgotten what they stopped you for in the first place. ;) :D

As always folks take care and enjoy life

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

Opinion: Those names are terrible. Wait till a good one comes to you.

Of course, opinions are like...well, you know the saying.

Loco-Coco

Cadet

...Wait till a good one comes to you...

I'd say wait till you have a boat before naming it. I had a name all picked out for my dog before I got one. The day I brought her home I knew the name just didn't fit and was back at square one.

If you want long, but pronounceable, how about:

"S.S. More Powerful Than Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, and the Incredible Hulk Put Together"

fg.jpg

LC.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

friend of mine asked the sign man to letter his boat. He wanted

Miss. Charleston

Charleston South Carolina

sign man told him it was $25 a letter.

now the stern says

OZ

anyway if you name it after your woman you can spend anything you want on it with out grief

ewenm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

how about "Far-Q-2",

and don't forget if it already has a name there is a procedure involved in renaming

involving at least two bottles of champagne and 10 virgins, good luck with the latter

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I named my sweetheart 'Breaking Wind' .....lol

Triton II

Commander

Ok folks I know this might be seen by some as putting the cart before the horse but I have to ask. I have two possible names that I would like to call my boat, (when I eventually get one). The First is Brumagem, this is the old name for Birmingham England, the other is take a deeeep breath folks, Llanfairpwthinglegogaryquindrubballandisiliogogogoh. This is actually the longest place name in the UK, it's a tiny little village on the isle of Angelsea, just off the north coast of Wales, the place name is almost as long as the place itself, and yes I can pronounce it. If you want to try, the "ll" is pronounced thl all the other letter are the same as English

The questtion is are either of these names permissable for use as a boat name, I would LURRRRRRRRRRRRVE to see the coastguard try to get his/her tongue around the Welsh one ;) :D :eek:

Mate, even us Aussies know it's called Clan-fire-puth-gwyn-gill-go-gaireth-airdrobwill-clanti-silly-oh-go-go-goth or Clan-fire-PG for short. As a baby pilot at RAF Valley (Anglesea) we used to call it "Alphabet City". Why not call your boat Bettsy's Cowshed? :D

TII

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Mate, even us Aussies know it's called Clan-fire-puth-gwyn-gill-go-gaireth-airdrobwill-clanti-silly-oh-go-go-goth or Clan-fire-PG for short. As a baby pilot at RAF Valley (Anglesea) we used to call it "Alphabet City". Why not call your boat Bettsy's Cowshed? :D

TII

aaaaaaaaahahahha ! .... Bettsy's Cowshed.... aaaahahahah !

scca vette

Petty Officer 1st Class

friend of mine asked the sign man to letter his boat. He wanted

Miss. Charleston

Charleston South Carolina

sign man told him it was $25 a letter.

now the stern says

OZ

anyway if you name it after your woman you can spend anything you want on it with out grief

$25 EACH? HOLLY CRAP!

When we owned the sign shop the most I ever had a boat name cost a customer was around $65 TOTAL. It was 4" letters (total of 9 leters) in 3 different colors including blue chrome vinyl. Most 2 color 3" letters in 2 colors would cost them around $25-$30 total installed. I did charge $20 extra if I had to drive to the lake or to the customers house.

Triton II

Commander

aaaaaaaaahahahha ! .... Bettsy's Cowshed.... aaaahahahah !

Yep, fortunately "Angliphication" of Welsh placenames was a national sport in the air force so the town of Betwsycoed got renamed! Or for those familiar with the region and in honour of Trawsfynydd's now decommissioned nuclear power station how about... "Glow in the Dark"! :D

TII

superbenk

Commander

I spent the first 2 months after getting my boat trying to think of some fancy name.

My boat doesn't have a name.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

TII

Holy crap! Wouldn't it just be easier to move?

However, I love the name Alaphabet City. There is a city in New York's lower east side called Alphabet City. As this was settled by the English, I wonder if there is (doubtfully) any connection.

BaylinerCapri1331

Seaman Apprentice

If I can talk my wife into keeping the boat we just bought and fixed I want to name it "Aqua-Jeep". since I fabricated the bimini top from an old Jeep Wrangler Bikini Top. I am a Die Hard Jeep man my dog is named after a Jeep My two cats are also named after Jeeps. I am even trying to get my wife to approve a Jeep Tattoo. But I will have to wait on that one. gota get her drunk first. lol

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I spent the first 2 months after getting my boat trying to think of some fancy name.

My boat doesn't have a name.

If you were to be in distress, what would you say on the VHF?

superbenk

Commander

If you were to be in distress, what would you say on the VHF?

I would have much bigger problems than that since I don't have a VHF :p

Haven't been anywhere that I've needed one (yet). We've only boated on tiny Army Corps. lakes.