OMG - what a leak (part two)

NavyETCS

Cadet
I posted this on the Volvo outboard forum, and was referred to this forum.

I have a 1986 21' Bayliner Capri Bowrider with the 5.0L V-8 engine and Volvo Penta 275 sterndrive. I have had the boat for only a few weeks and it only has 128 hours on the engine. The engine runs great. I have no complaints there. It revs up to 4100 RPM, runs at about 41 MPH with 2 adults and 3 children onboard.

The problem I have is a leak. The hull is in almost perfect shape. There were some minor chips in the white hull, but those have been epoxied and are good.

The only problem I could see was a bit of separation between the outdrive and the transom. I caulked the outdrive to transom as a temporary measure, but this made almost no difference in the leak rate.

So then I thought about the drain plug fitting (1/2" brass plug) that has some questionable caulking around it.

My question was if I could tighten the bolts holding the outdrive to the transom to seal it better against the boat. I wanted to know if there was some spec for those bolts.

My received response was that my transom was rotted/spongy and no amount of tightening would work.

My flooring and stringers have rot, are soft and are in need of replacement, which will be my winter project (and I will be coming to this forum during that period a LOT). But the transom feels strong. There is a swimmer platform bolted to the back that I climb on with the boat out of the water (I weight 220lbs), and I never see any flex or bend in the transom.

Is my transom really gone? And if so, what is required to repair it? Are there any who could give an estimate to the cost if done by a professional, is there the possibility to do this myself? (almost no fiberglass repair experience)

I know I have a strong learning curve coming when I replace the flooring and stringers ( Is it a good idea to do the stringers myself, or have it done?)

Wow...this is a long thread with a lot of questions, and I apologize for that. But any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ed

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: OMG - what a leak (part two)

Welcome to Iboats Navy..

Ermm..

" I have a 1986 21' Bayliner Capri Bowrider with the 5.0L V-8 engine and Volvo Penta 275 sterndrive "

Get someone ( yard or marina ) to loan you a " Moisture Meter " and check your boat out in the slings..

Unfortunatly our guess is going to be soaked Everywhere...

Deck..transom..Stringers.. everywhere m8..

Your not going to just caulk around anything that leaks and expect that to not leak anymore.. you have to remove..clean and rebed..

Upon removal you will see the damage done.. and you cant remount Anything that has water allready in there..

I would say do this in the fall/winter .. you most undoubtledly have a nice project that you could share in the up and coming months.

YD.

PS. I could be wrong...

bayliner_az

Cadet

I have the SAME boat with same outdrive with the same problem. I was at the lake last week and could actually hear the water running in. I looked around and tried to feel around for the leak while on the water but couldn't find it.

It started leaking last season but wasn't too bad, this year I've only been out 3 times. It seems like the leak is far worse when sitting than when driving.

Other issues I know I have is the ujoint and bellows. Also one rubber hook for the exhaust is blown apart. Got great info on another post this week of how to fix the ujoint and bellows this weekend. (thanks again folks!)

Around my transom it looks original and no gaps or cracking. Also have 2 swim decks/ladders like you but dont see anything loose etc. With the amount of water I could hear running in it has to be a pretty good hole.

I'm hoping that whil I have the top off to do the ujoint and bellows I'll see something that stands out.

Any ideas from anyone on it being that blown rubber hook or other exhaust lines etc? Or chances of it being the bellows? Other areas to check?

NavyETCS

Cadet

I have the SAME boat with same outdrive with the same problem. I was at the lake last week and could actually hear the water running in. I looked around and tried to feel around for the leak while on the water but couldn't find it.

It started leaking last season but wasn't too bad, this year I've only been out 3 times. It seems like the leak is far worse when sitting than when driving.

Other issues I know I have is the ujoint and bellows. Also one rubber hook for the exhaust is blown apart. Got great info on another post this week of how to fix the ujoint and bellows this weekend. (thanks again folks!)

Around my transom it looks original and no gaps or cracking. Also have 2 swim decks/ladders like you but dont see anything loose etc. With the amount of water I could hear running in it has to be a pretty good hole.

I'm hoping that whil I have the top off to do the ujoint and bellows I'll see something that stands out.

Any ideas from anyone on it being that blown rubber hook or other exhaust lines etc? Or chances of it being the bellows? Other areas to check?

I cannot hear the water flow, thank goodness. But I agree in that the water seems to fill up more while sitting still than while driving. I love the bilge pump, but I have to run it every 3-4 hours for about 10 minutes (450gph). I am not familiar with donuts, or the ujoints or anything. I do not see any obvious tears or anything.

This is definitely going to be a winter project (starting in January), and will most definitely post the progress.

NavyETCS

Cadet

Well, followed a friends advice. Installed the drain plug, dropped the garden hose into the engine compartment, and filled up the bilge. And lo and behold there was the leak. It is not coming out of the drain plug fitting, it is coming from the bottom port side bolt that secures the stern drive to the transom. I think I will try tightening that bolt to see if it will slow the leak. Is there anythiing I need to worry about when tightening these bolts?