Help! - I need a .... wheel alignment???

Carso

Seaman Apprentice
Hi
Since I've had it my early 80's Invader ski boat with a early 80's Mariner 150 outboard will veer off to the right if you let go of the wheel. To turn left is stiff and requires a bit of muscle. Any ideas what is going on? Hate to show my ignorance but ... Is this steering a hydraulic system? - If it is hydraulic how come I can move the both the wheel and the motor with ease with no power? If it is hydraulic maybe it just needs more fluid? - where would I find a fill hole? - nothing on the steering wheel as I have seen in others - something at the motor?

Thanks much for all your help.

ChrisfromVT

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Help! - I need a .... wheel alignment???

Some of the older models will pull to one side if you're not holding the wheel. You steering is likely cable controlled and you can replace it with a more modern teleflex system for fairly inexpensive...

Carso

Seaman Apprentice

Hard to beleive that it could be this bad by design. It really flops over if you let go. Nothing to do besides replacing it?

It likely is cable and not hydraulic but I didn't see any cables - only one larger 3/4" or so "hose" -could be a sheath for cables?

Thanks

sxmerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think what you have a conventional single cable steering system. What your feeling is called torque steer and is caused by the paddle wheel effect. Essentially the right hand rotation of the propeller is pulling the rear of the motor to the right hand side, much like a padde wheel. Couple of options. 1st is to adjust the trim tab (the little fin that hangs down above the prop) all the way to the right. Hydronamic forces will push back against the fin in the opposite direction that the prop is pulling. If this is not to your liking, you can upgrade to a No Feedback cable steering system. You will still feel a bit of resistance when turning to the left, but you will be able to let go of the wheel and not have the motor spin the wheel around on you. 3rd option is the best I feel, but also fairly expensive. Upgrade to a hydraulic steering system. This will solve ALL of your concerns. Hope this helps.

Carso

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks much - I'll try the trim tab. It isn't much of a boat so unlikely I will spend any real money on her.
Thanks again.
Carso

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mine would veer to the right and after having to rebuild the transom when I went to re-install the outboard, I noticed whoever put it on originally mounted it 1/2" off center. I adjusted and now it steers like a dream.

Mi duckdown

Commander

You probably have three options.
First. adjust the trim tab above the prop as sxmerc said. to get the best no hands steering.
Second. there is an a tension bolt just below the clamp on the port side of motor.
Third. there may be a tension adjustment just below you steering consule.