What's the best way to store the anchor line?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
I keep two anchors in the boat, and the line for each is wrapped up from the anchor to the end of the line (aka the Bitter End). Although this makes storage easy and neat, its not the best way to wrap up the line because I have to unroll the wrap before dropping the anchor.

What is the best way to store the anchor line (usually 100' line) so it easy to deploy and easy to store?

ziggy

Admiral
Re: What's the best way to store the anchor line?

i got me a ditty bag so to speak. i just feed the line into the bag helter skelter. when feeding out. ya just pay out the line and it's generally not tangled. same with ski ropes. just let them fall where they may. if ya try to be neat with either they always get tied in a knot for me...

i got an extra 50' that i do keep rolled up neat. but i don't use it often. just have it available..

tractorboy

Seaman

Im in the same situation. hate the line laying around too. Im thinking of some sort of spool or something........just not sure what. I have more of idea of HOW than I do as what to use?!

HOpe to hear what people think....

Electric cord spooler/plastic

Todd

davlafont

Cadet

I was just going to ask if an extension cord spool might be suitable. I have one that has a grab handle in the center hole and a knob to crank it. I just wonder if that would prevent the rode from drying out, or is that not really a problem?

rainman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use a 24 inch long by 16 inch wide piece of plywood for my 100 foot anchor rope. Its a little bit of a hassle taking it off but the line never gets tangled. I also keep my 20 lb. mushroom anchor in my bailing bucket keeps the mud and water under control.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

for normal soft rope like most of us use place the bitter end in a bucket, bag or my preference a milk crate.... pile the rest of the rope in however it falls.... It will pay out flawlessly

If you are using stiff rope in the 2" plus range one of the other 5 or 10 deckhands will instruct you on how to coil it :cool:

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

yup agree with the others...I have a small anchor locker in the cuddy with a hole through the deck attached to the anchor. Just pull the line in hand over hand from inside the cuddy and let it lay in to the anchor locker as you pull....comes out same way every time.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Yup, what others have said. Neatly coiled line will foul when you try to pay it out. My stern anchor rode drops into a bucket. My bow anchor rode drops into the anchor locker. In both cases, retrieval is hand over hand and the rode is allowed to simply fall into the storage space. It'll pay out again the same way.

My .02

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

My bow cushion comes out and that spot is just for the anchor. I just heft the anchor and chain over the side and then feed the rope out until I'm satisfied...then I tie it and leave the rest in that cubby and put the cushion back on.

When I pull the rope back in the cushion comes back out and the rope just gets pulled into there and the anchor is layed on top of it. No fancy coiling or anything like that. :)

JimKW

Petty Officer 1st Class

How do you get the rode to dry out? I pulled mine all the way out when I got home the other day and it is laid out in the garage right now. I do the same thing to store it just pull the anchor in and put the rode in the anchor locker in the bow with the anchor and chain on top. When I throw the anchor out the line comes out fine.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I guess I could put in an anchor locker, there is space for one in the cuddy. I typically use two anchors, and would like to keep one mounted on the bow, the other could be kept in the storage under the V birth.

If an anchor is mounted on a bow roller, it would be nice to have the line coiled on some sort of fixture that allows it to be easily played out, and coiled up when pulled in. Something like the extension cord holder someone mentioned earlier, but heavier duty and marine grade.

Still trying to decide the best setup. I think having the anchor and line both stored on the bow will make it easier for me. Especially seeing as I have to climb through the windshield to get to the bow, or go through the cuddy hatch. The windsheild is easier, but either way, I have done this with anchor and line in my hands and it makes things harder, especially if the boat is rocking a bit.

The problem with putting in an anchor roller is the navigation light needs to be removed, and two separate red/green lights installed on either side. Not a real problem, but those lights in stainless can get expensive.

Thanks for the suggestions. Give me more to think about.

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use one of those plastic electrical cord reels for the stern anchor that has a smaller rope, and it holds 100' with room to spare. And I could never find a good place to keep coil after I tied off. Now I just pull the rope through one of the holes in the side of the reel and hang it over the cleat. As for the bow anchor with a larger (overkill) rope, I have just trained the wife to take care of that, coiling it up and securing it with an elastic strap.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I've seen people with larger boats use a hose reel--the kind that is built into a plastic box.
The worst for tangles is when someone coils a line over their elbow. My daughter was taught this at sailing but it doesn't work well; you don't end up unwinding the kinks--the figure eight you get if it's not straight.
A well-coiled line will pay out nicely but a dropped-in line works best. Ski lines are mischievious and tangle themselves if left alone in the dark.

ziggy

Admiral

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Ziggy - My aft anchor lives under the seat with the battery and I spool the line around the mushroom. Since I don't often have to use both, I don't have it on anything other than a carabiner and a float.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I keep two anchors in the boat, and the line for each is wrapped up from the anchor to the end of the line (aka the Bitter End). Although this makes storage easy and neat, its not the best way to wrap up the line because I have to unroll the wrap before dropping the anchor.

It seems you may need a few minutes to unwrap the anchor rode in order to deploy the anchor. This may be a safety issue if you lose power and have to deploy the anchor quickly in an emergency.

In addition, wrapping the line around the anchor may abrade the line more quickly than if the rode was stored loosely in an anchor locker. Loose storage may also let the rode dry more quickly than if it was wrapped around the stem of the anchor.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

It seems you may need a few minutes to unwrap the anchor rode in order to deploy the anchor. This may be a safety issue if you lose power and have to deploy the anchor quickly in an emergency.

In addition, wrapping the line around the anchor may abrade the line more quickly than if the rode was stored loosely in an anchor locker. Loose storage may also let the rode dry more quickly than if it was wrapped around the stem of the anchor.

I probably didn't make that too clear. What I do is take the line starting at the anchor, and wrap it from hand to elbow until its almost all wraped up, then the bitter end is wrapped around the coil of line 6 or 8 times to keep it wrapped neat. The line is not wrapped around the anchor.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

My bow cushion comes out and that spot is just for the anchor. I just heft the anchor and chain over the side and then feed the rope out until I'm satisfied...then I tie it and leave the rest in that cubby and put the cushion back on.

When I pull the rope back in the cushion comes back out and the rope just gets pulled into there and the anchor is layed on top of it. No fancy coiling or anything like that. :)

Thats exactly the way I do it on our bow rider. Ive been keeping an old water bottle in the boat to prop the seat up so the rope can dry out after I put the cover on. Dont want all that moisture to hang out under the hull.

I've seen people with larger boats use a hose reel--the kind that is built into a plastic box.
The worst for tangles is when someone coils a line over their elbow. My daughter was taught this at sailing but it doesn't work well; you don't end up unwinding the kinks--the figure eight you get if it's not straight.
A well-coiled line will pay out nicely but a dropped-in line works best. Ski lines are mischievous and tangle themselves if left alone in the dark.

I keep around 400ft of line for tying up to the shore on a hose reel and it works awesome. Couldnt of found something that was cheaper and works better than this even if they made some specifically for it. Only paid $15 for it at walmart.

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do what ziggy dioes - let it land as it may.

I have a nylon mesh bag and it comes out of the ski locker. the mesh allows the rope to dry and it pays out without any knots or tangles. easy and cheap.

i was going to use a winder, but thought better of that in case of emergency - this route was easier to deploy. On our lake, you gotta be super careful - the waves can kick up quick.