Looking for a new prop

DareDog

Seaman
have a 1989 VIP Vision with Ford 2.3l i/o 17' boat, looking for little more power out of it. had plastic 4 blade prop on it and it dose 33 mph. had other metal 3 blade one and it has a small ding in it and that one dose 34 mph. looking for little more power out of the boat. first thought was go stainless but then thought about it and if boat ever hit anything it would be bad. (outdrive
would be toast ) wonder if i get new metal 3 blade prop what best setup on it is ? thanks

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Looking for a new prop

We need to know your rated rpm;and your present prop size(on the barrel or under the prop nut)max rpm and speed.Do some runs with one aboard carefully trimming.
Be sure it is well tuned and the throttle plates are opening all the way.

DareDog

Seaman

RPM is 5200 and 17 i think i will check it this weekend.

yrs ago it would go 40mph..

the doel fin on it is kinda big and has small lip at the end so thinking about cutting the lip off of it is that good idea?

this is fin that is on it

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0000917010805a.shtml

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If 5200 RPM is what the MANUFACTURER recommends as maximum wide open throttle rpm than that's the "target". What RPM you currently see on the tach at WOT is the number we really need.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Technically if it used to do 40 you need to figure out why it doesn't anymore.
A tuneup with a compression test would be a good start.Check that the throttle plates open all the way.Bottom clean and smooth?
The short way out is a prop change For more power/hole shot try a 15" pitch.
It will add 200 to 400 rpm,
improve hole shot and load ability but will likely lower top end further.