1985 90hp inline 6 murcury "tower of power" help!

ryanalaska1990

Seaman Apprentice
does anyone know where the thermostat is located on a 1985 murcury 90hp inline 6. im pretty sure mine went bad. the "pee hose" isnt pushing anything out at all. i havent had it in the water yet but i hooked up the ear muffs and a hose and ran the engine and nothing. i would like to change the thermostat before i take it on the water. please any help would be greatly appricated.

thanks
-Ryan

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1985 90hp inline 6 murcury "tower of power" help!

Hello:

None of the inline 6 engines had thermostats. Try sticking a wire up the **** tube to see if a spider or other incect made a home there.

emckelvy

Commander

A couple of ways you can tell if you're getting water circulation when running a motor on the flusher, in the absence of a telltale:

1) Feel the exhaust manifold cover, it should be Stone Cold. If it's too hot to touch, you're not getting water thru the block. Exhaust beats directly on the baffle beneath the cover, and the Whole Mess gets hot real fast when there's no water. So you'll know right away.

2) Water exits the block and goes down the middle (exhaust tower, aka 'center section', aka 'mid'), and right out the center of the prop. If the water running out the prop is noticeably warmer than the water supply going into the motor, you've got water circulation thru the block.

Needless to say, it's best to have that telltale working, cause it's a lot easier to see that underway than to have a helper back there taking the motor's temperature all the time!

I'd try what the O.P. said, the plastic piece at the end, or the hose itself, may be plugged with debris. A puff of compressed air up the telltale is usually all it takes to clear things up.

HTH...........ed

ryanalaska1990

Seaman Apprentice

thank you guys i really appricate it i am going to check the hose and everything in the morning.i have a second question. now if i do find that there is water flowing threw it but the tube is too jammed to release water, is it still safe to operate?

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes. But would you want to? The only warning you have when the water stop flowing is when the motor stop running due to overheat. Your call. Boss.

B

arsenalpsu

Petty Officer 1st Class

Even if you get something out of your pee tube, replace yoru impeller. You should do it every 2-3 years, it's a cheep insurance for your entire powerhead.

-J

ryanalaska1990

Seaman Apprentice

hey guys.
i cleaned out everything and still nothing from the spout. so i ordered a new impeller. it will be here and ill be in stalling it friday. the impeller hasnt been changed in atleast 2 years(its been out of the water that long) and im pretty sure the last owner haddnt changed it when he had it eather. so more then likly thats my problem. ill post agian friday afternoon withthe results!

thanks agian everyone i really appricate everything

-Ryan

ryanalaska1990

Seaman Apprentice

does anyone know the right spark plug gap for this engine? 1985 mercury inline 6, 90 hp.

emckelvy

Commander

You should be using Champion L-76V Permagap (surface gap) spark plugs, which is what Mercury originally specified for your motor.

Do not use a standard-electrode-type of spark plug in an Inline Six, they run hotter than surface gap plugs and you'd be asking for trouble in the form of burnt pistons.

HTH............ed

ryanalaska1990

Seaman Apprentice

ok,
i got the right spark plugs,and did the impeller. engine is now cooling properly. now we have 1 more problem.

we went out and got a new throttal assemblly and hooked everything up the right way. but now the outboard is stuck in Forward. and will not engauge netural or reverse.

what could cause this? when we were putting the lower unit back on after we did them impeller it took some time to get it lined up. mabey somthing isnt lined up right??

anyone have any ideas? im trying to get this thing back in the water! fishing is good!! lol

thanks agian guys i really appricate everything

-Ryan

latin monkey

Petty Officer 1st Class

its not lined up right. pull lower unit back off, shift your control into neutral then manually shift your lower unit into neutral by the shift rod, the prop should spin freely in both directions, then install lower unit. it may take a few times to get it right. make sure the upper shift rod is in the shifter at the powerhead all the way also

latin monkey

Petty Officer 1st Class

also make sure water tube is fitted correctly at bottom of powerhead

I have the same motor as you but mine's an 84. As said no thermostat and you have the flat type spark plugs with no electrode and no gap to play with.

On your lower unit you took off to do the impeller, the shift shaft is near the front. You can rotate it with a pair of pliers. It will turn a fair bit clockwise/counter clockwise. Play with it until you get a feel for where neutral, forward and reverse are by spinning the prop by hand. When I was putting mine back on, I set the lower unit into reverse, put the throttle controls in reverse and had a helper wiggle the throttle and the top of the crank with a ratchet while I lifted the lower unit. Also mine was a bit of a PITA because I could not get it to work with that cheap plastic guide tube that came with my quicksilver brand water pump kit so I just left it off while taking care to ensure I got the pump hose seated in the housing correctly. Was annoying because I had to co-ordinate lining up the shift shaft to the shift linkage at the same time.

Also, about the shift shaft, if you weren't watching it, it's also possible you may have inadvertantly not connected it. The shift linkage flops around enough that you may be able to miss lining it up with the shift shaft during reassy.

ryanalaska1990

Seaman Apprentice

thank you! i was auctully just coming on to ask a few questions and u just answered them all basiclly. i can turn the shift shaft with my fingers . it turns about 200degrees around then stops. so i should turn it slowly untill i get netural right?
i jst dropped the lower unit . im in the process of finding N as we speak!

thanks agian to everyone. -Ryan

ryanalaska1990

Seaman Apprentice

Ok. I got it into neutral. Now should there be any play in the shift shaft while it's in neutral? Because there is no play at all. But when it was in forward i could turn the shaft with my fingers

emckelvy

Commander

Ok. I got it into neutral. Now should there be any play in the shift shaft while it's in neutral? Because there is no play at all. But when it was in forward i could turn the shaft with my fingers

That is correct. There is only one position for the 'detent' in the shift cam to be in Neutral. This is because it's pushing on the shift plunger which in turn pushes the shift dog to disengage Fwd gear.

When you're in Fwd, the shift cam is at its 'low point' and doesn't push on the shift plunger. So, spring tension pushes the shift clutch to firmly engage Fwd gear. There's about 270 degrees of free play on the shift shaft in the Fwd position. All the important motion is going on when you shift CCW and the 'ramp' on the shift cam starts to push on the plunger.

The only correct position for the shift shaft when in Fwd gear is <just> before you're gonna shift into Neutral. Such that the next 'click' you get when you're turning the shift shaft CCW is Neutral. So you can see that if you were to move the shift shaft all over the place in Fwd and reinstall the lower unit that way, you'd never get back to Neutral unless the shift shaft was properly repositioned.

Neutral is a lot easier to find since there is positive position to be in and it'll tend to stay there as well.

Anyway, HTH & G'luck with the reinstall......ed

79Merc80

There shold be NO "Play" in neutral

ryanalaska1990

Seaman Apprentice

awsome! all things considered it looks like im ecactly where i want to be. i appricate everything everyone! i knew this forum would be helpful but i had no idea id be printing out pages for future referance!

im waiting for a extra hand to help me line it up and bolt-er-on!
ill let you guys know how it goes
thanks agian!
-Ryan

trihull59

Seaman Apprentice

I just had a similar problem with my 85hp there is a thing that rides the grove of where you put it into forward and reverse that if has been sitting a while wont move easily it locks your motor on the shaft so it wont move away from your transom in forward and reverse and that kept mine from staying in neutral let me know if you need pictures