Engine Trouble Evinrude 200hp

mchayes53

Cadet
I have been around boats for a long time but am just recently a new boat OWNER. My engine has been having trouble and any help would be greatly appreciated.
The marina cleaned all new carburators, replaced fuel filters and fuel senders, and flushed the old gas and replaced with new gas about 3 weeks ago.
While out fishing the engine would not work. We were drifting and when I went to start up and head in the engine started after a few turns then slowly stopped. At one point when i kept the choke on it ran for a little then stopped again. Now I when I try to start it it makes a veeeeeeeee noise (kind of like when a car wont start) and that is all it does. I took off the casing and noticed that the wheel on top just spins and never catches anything to fully start up. I also noticed that there is gas or water squirting out when I pump the fuel ball. What on earth could be wrong with the motor? I have heard O ring, fuel pump, and possible flooding issues from a few people.
If anyone has an idea of what the issue could be please let me know. I understand it is hard to diagnose without seeing or hearing but any input is helpful.
Thank you.

Fed

Commander
Re: Engine Trouble Evinrude 200hp

Is the 'wheel on top that spins' the small cog on top of the starter motor (bendix) or the big cog on top of the engine. (flywheel)

When you pump the fuel bulb where does the gas squirt from?

mchayes53

Cadet

Thanks for the help so far
The "wheel" is the flywheel on top of the engine. I am not the best or most mechanically inclined person but I am trying and learning. Therefore I believe the gas is squirting from the fuel line itself but I am not sure. It looks like a white plastic type plug that connects the fuel line from the bulb/pump into the actual engine

Fed

Commander

First make sure that fuel fitting is connected properly, if it is then you probably need a new one. They do have an O ring inside them and I think they're replaceable but a whole new fitting isn't very expensive anyway.
The Veeee noise you mentioned sounds like the cog on the starter is not rising up to the flywheel, was the flywheel turning when you heard that noise?

mchayes53

Cadet

Yes the flywheel was turning. And i had been told there could be an issue with the o ring. Also is it good or bad that the flywheel would be turning while it made the veeeeee noise? What could that problem be or how could it be fixed?

Fed

Commander

In the middle of the flywheel there is a large nut srewed to the end of a shaft (the crankshaft), when the flywheel is spinning and making it's veeee noise is the end of that shaft turning.
You may have sheared the flywheel key.

mchayes53

Cadet

I went and looked at it again. The flywheel is spinning but the nut and shaft in the middle is not spinning. Also the liquid that is coming out of what I believe is the fuel line is gasoline (I smelled it today). So to sum up:
Flywheel is spinning but shaft and nut are not
Fuel is leaking from a "plug-type" connection when ball is pumped
Veeeee noise continues and engine doesn't turn over and crank
Any suggestions or other diagnosis, you have been hugely helpful so far

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

OK, on the gas leak thing. What does "plug type connection" mean? Maybe post a good clear focused photo?

Since the engine is new to you, it might be a good idea to just go through the entire fuel system from tank to carburetor and inspect and replace fuel lines if they're suspect, check all connections and clamps and re-do if they are suspect (use the proper ratcheting clamps). Of course, check the hose that is leaking and all connections - that would be the first thing. This sort of stuff is mostly common sense and very little technical expertise needed. In the "big picture" fuel hose and clamps are pretty cheap and the peace of mind compared to the time spend doing it is pretty high.

As for the fly wheel. I've never done it myself, I had a mechanic fix mine when it sheared the key. You'd need a flywheel puller, probably a service manual and possibly some patience or experience to get the key in there correctly and then check to make sure everything is skookum.

daselbee

Commander

Wow...such a small item leading to such a large repair bill.....

The flywheel key is about a 3 dollar part, but a shop will charge big bucks to do it, I am afraid.

If you can get a mechanically inclined buddy....

The flywheel nut needs a 1-7/16 1/2 inch drive socket to remove. Use of an air impact wrench is suggested, because if the key is sheared, you will have no way to hold the engine from turning. There are tricks...like stuffing a bunch of rope in a cylinder thru the spark plug hole, then rotating the engine til the large wad of rope stops the piston...
But I would try the air impact wrench first.

Since the flywheel is already loose, you probably will not need a puller. I bet it lifts off when you get the nut off.

Clean out the keyway in the crank, and the inside of the flywheel, install new key pn 307480 only avail from Evinrude dealers....do not use a hardware store generic key.

Place flywheel back, aligning key and keyway, seat on taper. Careful...it moves around because of the magnets. Torque nut to 140 foot-lbs. Hold flywheel with suitable holder when torquing. If you need tools, try to use the AutoZone loaner program. Pay deposit, take tools, return tool, get refund of deposit.

Fed

Commander

I am not the best or most mechanically inclined person but I am trying and learning.
Do yourself a favour mchayes53 and take it to your friendly outboard guy.

mchayes53

Cadet

I agree!
Thank you everyone for your help I have a mechanic coming today and I am going to apprentice/watch him fix it. This way I will have an idea about boat mechanics and also get it repaired for sure. Thanks for all the help.....what you suggested was the diagnosis and I was able to cut down expenses by telling him exactly what it was. Thank you.

daselbee

Commander

Well, please let us know the outcome.
I want to know exactly what the problem was, how difficult it was to get the flywheel off (assuming the correct diagnosis), how long it took, how the mechanic held the flywheel to re-install it, how much it cost...etc.

Please give us the details when it is done.

Craig-

Petty Officer 1st Class

The marina that did your fuel system work should take care of your fuel leak, no charge, unless you messed with it. Did they also have the flywheel off? That key normally won't break, if nut is properly torqued. I'd go back to them to get it fixed right this time or send them the bill.

Fed

Commander

Good point Craig, if they had the flywheel off then they could have caused it. I'd be looking for witness marks around the nut like a rabid CSI.

mchayes53

Cadet

I will do that. Thank you for the advice. I asked the marina to fix it and they said they'd charge me to get it looked at and if it was the same thing then it would be free. (pretty they will fix it for free, but charge me to say it was their fault). Anyway the mechanic is coming friday so I will let you know.
Thanks again.

Rick-va3rzs

Seaman Apprentice

while your flywheel is off I would check the coils and if thay show any signs of old age/cracking I would change them also check other items when you have it off

Just my thoughts

mchayes53

Cadet

Sorry for the delay in an update. After getting it serviced through a cheap, reliable mechanic it was determined that the flywheel and key were fine and the fuel line actually broke off of the fuel pressure switch. I ordered a new part and the mechanic replaced it. He also cleaned out carburetors and replaced the fuel pump and the engine fired up. Thank you for all of your help. I did take one piece of advice to heart and took the bill (along with a letter from my uncle who is a lawyer) to the previous marina that serviced the boat. Since they claimed to have fixed the carburetors and the fuel pump they agreed to pay for the bill for those two services.
Thanks again for all of your help and while I am now more mechanically inclined I intend to learn alot more and will not hesitate to post here again with any questions.
Thanks again!!!! Going fishing tomorrow!!!

daselbee

Commander

Glad you got it fixed, but this is what you reported as the problem in post #1.

Now I when I try to start it it makes a veeeeeeeee noise (kind of like when a car wont start) and that is all it does. I took off the casing and noticed that the wheel on top just spins and never catches anything to fully start up.

What was the veeeeeeeeee noise? I just can't match up the description you gave with the problem found.

I do see that you reported gas or water leaking when you pump the bulb....that is consistent with a leaking fuel vacuum warning switch and hose.....but that is all.

Very weird.

I am going to edit this and add.....
You also posted this at post #7

I went and looked at it again. The flywheel is spinning but the nut and shaft in the middle is not spinning.