New Optimax 90 2 stroke missing Spark Plug wires

Amoeba 2010

Recruit
I purchased a Brand new 2009 1703 trophy CC with a 2009 Mercury Optimax 90 2-Stroke last week.
Took it out for the first time yesterday and could tell something was wrong right after leaving the Harbor. As I gave the boat some throttle, I could not get it on a plane. It struggled to get up to 3500 rpm's and once it was beginning to plane it would start to gain rpm's.
It also stalled everytime taking it out of neutral, unless I gave it plenty of throttle.
I honestly thought, it just needed to break in.
When I returned home, I took the cover off the engine and notice the top spark plug of the three was exposed and missing its wire. The opposite part that the wire attached to was also missing.
Either the dealer need the part for another engine and forgot to replace or it was stolen on the lot.
My question is, could any damage have been inccured by running on two cylinders for 4 hours straight?
The dealer said they will take care of it, but I dont want a brand new "repaired" engine, as this was no fault of my own.
Any thoughts?

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: New Optimax 90 2 stroke missing Spark Plug wires

IMO I bet no real damage was done, make the dealer do a compression test or even better leak down test to confirm no damage was done but the engine is lubricated with the fuel and although no spark there was fuel/oil. The tests will ensure no "wash down" happened where the oil got diluted with excess fuel and prevented adequate lubrication. Typically these 2 strokes are tough as nails, I bet you are A-OK.

herb boughn

Cadet

Let me tell you about my Optimax experience. Bought a new 2010 Opti 115 Pro FS that runs like crap. Tested THREE times by dealer but couldn't figure it out. Then we learned it HAD FAILED FACTORY RUN TESTS, put in a box, and sold at discount. THERE IS NOTHING MERCURY WON"T DO TO SCREW THERE CUSTOMERS. Now they want me to take it to a mechanic who graduated from Briggs & Stanton college. Don't think so! Everything you hear bad about Mercury & Optimax is normally true. :mad::p

Amoeba 2010

Recruit

Thanks Mike! This really Helps.
Herb, not much help other than making my stomack turn, as I just purchased a Merc Optimax.

gss036

Commander

The way they get lubed, should not be a problem as oil should have been injected into the holes if my understanding of the system is correct. BUT!! I could be wrong.

herb boughn

Cadet

Ameoba. Sure did not mean to upset your stomach! I plan to fix mine next year when I trade it so if you're in the Des Moines area don't buy a used 115 Pro FS. Biggest problem most Merc mechanics are clueless when it comes to working this type engine. Good Luck

onwaves

Cadet

Never have had any probs with my 150 Optimax. It's a real work horse. The Merc mechanics at my dealer are very good.