Mercruiser 3.0L - Problem after 20 hours break in oil change

DoPlouffe

Cadet
Good day everyone.

I recently bought a new Bayliner 175. It has the Mercruiser I/O 3.0L 4 Cylinder in it.

I recently hit the 20 hour mark with the engine and did the 20 hours break in oil change as per the manual instruction.

I did the oil change myself (Not the first time I was doing one).

What I did:

1. Warmed the engine on the 'muffs' for about 15min until it reached its operation temp (about 175)
2. Removed Oil cap on the engine, removed the oil dip stick and loosened the oil filter a little bit.
3. Removed the drain plug and oil drain plug and let the oil flow until empty
4. Replaced the oil filter
5. Filled the engine with new oil (same brand that was used previously)
6. Checked oil level and everything was ok

Also changed the gear lube...

1. Emptied the monitor and unscrewed the bottom screw of my stern drive
2. Unscrewed the top screw and remove cap lid of monitor to let the gear lube flow
3. Filled the stern drive with new gear lube from the bottom until it hit the top screw hole
4. Replaced the top screw hole and kept filling until I could see the gear lube in the monitor
5. Filled the rest directly in the monitor until it was in the OK range.

After the changes, I ran the motor on muffs again for about 15-20min. Everything was OK as far as temp and PSI for the oil on my gauge.

After running the engine on the muffs, I let it cool down for about 20min. Checked all the levels again - Everything is OK.

==========================================

Problem: Since I did the oil change, I'm having trouble starting/shutting down the engine.

Before the oil change, it used to take 1-2sec for the engine to start. Now I need to hold the key on the starting position for 4-5 sec for the engine to start.

Also, when shutting down the engine, it seems like the engine is completing 4-5 more 'rotation' before completely shutting down when it was right away before the oil change.

Anyone else ran into those issues or know what could cause the problem?

Thanks.
Dominic.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mercruiser 3.0L - Problem after 20 hours break in oil change

Sounds like you bumped something loose in the wiring.

Double check all of your connections around where you were doing your maintenance...

QC

Supreme Mariner

I don't think the starting issue and oil change are related. My guess is coincidence.

Edit: I agree with the possibility that Alpheus points out, but it sounded like it started fine the first time after the oil change . . .

DoPlouffe

Cadet

I don't think the starting issue and oil change are related. My guess is coincidence.

Edit: I agree with the possibility that Alpheus points out, but it sounded like it started fine the first time after the oil change . . .

In that case, any idea what could cause the problem? I'll check the wiring as mentioned in by Alpheus.

And it did have a little problem starting after the oil change when I tested it on the muffs but thought it was due to the new oil/gear lube. But I really noticed it when I got it on the water the next day.

kellmike626

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now that you mention these problems...I'm in the same position as you, except I have about 100 hours on my 175. :confused:

Most of the time when I anchor out on the water, The 3.0 Liter Merc takes 1-2 tries tops when sitting and still warm (each time cranking for about 1-3 seconds, 4 when it's cold) But, when I stop the engine sometimes I get the rotation issue as well.
I'll be checking the connections as well. If you find the fix I'd be happy if you post it :) I never really considered it a problem until now...

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

How about a call to the dealer since its brand new and under warranty. It is under warranty - correct?