Cool! A Tailgate Transom!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Never saw one of these before. Was planning a trip to Coecles Harbor in Shelter Island, NY and remembered that there was a high end custom boat builder there. Thought it would be neat to go visit their shop, so I looked them up to give a call and see if they allow visitors. While on the website, I saw this boat they build; a 30' boat they call Nomad. Thought this was cool enough to post here. Has a lot of uses, no?

CHMarineHi_Page_2_Image_0001_klein.jpg

Check out their other boat here: http://chmarineyachts.com/index.html

The "reviews" page makes for interesting reading.

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Cool! A Tailgate Transom!

If its water tight when closed and above the waterline would be great for elderly to get on or off if backed into a slip.

Summer Fun

Banned

Mark, I like it !!. Until there are to many adult soda's served and then you might fall into the water. :D

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

That is cool. Like those big barges where you can drop the bow...only a whole lot more attractive!

dirtdiver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like it would be good for fishing, easier to get them in the boat...

DANZIG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is just plumb nifty!! I want!! Come on lottery numbers!!!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Can load a lot of stuff with a tailgate. Going to a private island? Want to bring your ATV? A couple of dirt bikes? Grandma in her wheel chair?

And off shore fishing would be easier. Getting those Tuna in the boat would be a breeze. Just watch out for sharks.... remember what happened to the boat and captain in Jaws!!! :D

nomad-440a-crop.jpg

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Its an OCTOBER FEST boat

"Role in the barrel, and we''ll have a barrel of fun" :D

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

So the obvious question, what are they doing for engine/drive systems? A standard engine mounted that low could have quite a few issues. (serious draft, as well as having your entire engine/exhaust system below the waterline!)

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

Grandma in her wheel chair?

And off shore fishing would be easier. Getting those Tuna in the boat would be a breeze. Just watch out for sharks.... remember what happened to the boat and captain in Jaws!!! :D

nomad-440a-crop.jpg

Wow, that is a nice accessory especially if you had a disability. It makes me wonder if that was it's intentional purpose or a secondary benefit. Either way, that is a nice boat( I doubt if thats the case since the benches in the first pic are too close together to get a chair through but what a nice thought that the boating industry would buid something that could get a whole group of people involved in a recreation that was nearly inaccessible to them)

Last edited:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

So the obvious question, what are they doing for engine/drive systems? A standard engine mounted that low could have quite a few issues. (serious draft, as well as having your entire engine/exhaust system below the waterline!)

Sounds like some serious engineering:

Twin inboard diesels drive inboard propellers that are tucked up in tunnels. Since the props are recessed inside the hull tunnels there is added protection against striking submerged objects. The draft is a mere 20˝. Power is a pair of Yanmar 6LPA diesels rated at 315 HP each that yield a cruising speed of 34 mph with a top speed of nearly 40 mph.
Read details here: http://chmarineyachts.com/ourboats.html

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll assume that tailgait is electric? Useless otherwise.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

A lot of fishing boats have "tuna doors" in the transom, but just on one side. And Boston Whaler makes a version with a door in the side--it's for military/law enforcement/safety (good for rescuing people out of the water--slide them in instead of gaffing them) but the divers love them, too.
As long as it's above the waterline it doesn't have to be perfectly watertight.

ditchen

Seaman Apprentice

i would like to see the bottom of the hull

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My guess was direct drive engines when I saw that, but I was surprised to learn that they are recessed. Very cool.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Somewhat of a different take on the same concept, the Pearson True North 38...
29080868.jpg

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

That could also be cool with a single center mounted inboard like you would see in a Mastercraft ski boat.

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

You all are missing the point.... you mount your outboard to that and you can get some serious tilt/trim going.:D