88 Force 50 Will Not Start, Ideas?

buckwheat34

Seaman Apprentice
Just picked up a Force 50 on a Blue Fin fishing boat and ran into a problem, it will not start. Had a little sputter on the second turn of the key and nothing since. Checked fuel from the tank to the filter, filter to the carb, pumped tank ball and no problem, got fuel. I'm getting fuel when I put my finger in the carb opening. I also checked the spark plugs and I have spark when cranking the engine. When it wouldn't start initially, I pulled the plugs and they were wet and a little black. When cranking the engine to check spark with the plug removed, cylinder expells what looks like fuel. DUmped some fuel into the cylinder and still would not fire. Had spark before and after I added the fuel at the cylinder. Vent / screw on gas tank cap open or closed makes no difference. After cranking the fuel ball is a little soft and appears to move a little fuel, 1/4 squeez of ball then firm again, What gives? Am I missing something here? Any suggestions other than dynamite?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 88 Force 50 Will Not Start, Ideas?

Howdy, Buckwheat.

Welcome to iboats. :)

Go to the Engine FAQs Forum ^^^. Do "Outboard won't satrt."

buckwheat34

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the tip. Just spent a few hours looking at the FAQ's and found some great posting that will help me get this Force 50 back in shape. There were a lot of PM items that a first time boat owner like me will use. Not certain this will get me up and running tomorrow, but I plotted a action plan based on what I found. Looks like I should have posted my question in the proper forum and I will make sure to do that in the future. It's tough to be a novice boater and blogger. Thanks for the help. Great site for all levels of boaters.:)

buckwheat34

Seaman Apprentice

Update, determined that the compresion is an issue. Tested 63psi on the top and 75psi on the bottom cylinder. My understanding is there is a 10% difference requirement that should be met and I really should see 100 - 125 psi for a good reading. That said, I'm trying to decide wether to return the boat to the owner or get a price reduction and fix it myself. Lots of chatter about the negatives of Force motors on the iboats site, but some people have positive comments. I really like the Bluefin 1606 superhawk boat it came with and it is in good shape. Couple of questions???? What is a rough estimate of the parts cost if someone wanted to go through the motor and rebuild it? I understand that the range can be large and we will not know everything until we pull the head and other parts to get a better assesment, but I would like to do what is necessary to put it back in good working order. Second, how much would you want refunded if the owner is willing to drop the price -vs- taking it back? I have a written guarantee on the motor. New motors are not cheap and you never know what you are getting with a used one. Finally, any other advice?

Thanks,
John

buckwheat34

Seaman Apprentice

Update, spark was measured and looks real good. I get a sputter at initial start when I let it sit overnight, but that's it. Owner wants to send it to his mechanic and "he'll fix it at his expense". Not sure if he understands how much this may cost. I may work a deal with him and fix it myself or part the engine out. The engine is super clean and look almost new, but it may be better to part it out and move on because of current and future part availability.

Keep you posted,
buckwheat34

john from md

Commander

I would pull the head off and see if the problem is only a head gasket. If it is, I would replace it and, if their last replacement times are unknown, the fuel pump diaphram, plugs and water pump impeller. Next I would check the timing to make sure it is where it is supposed to be.

With that done, I would put it in the water and adjust the carb and then go out and fish.!;)

buckwheat34

Seaman Apprentice

We'll get her done and see what we get. Thanks for the input.

Good luck,
John

metor99

Seaman

HI
Get the motor reduced in price by 400.00 or get rid of it. low compression is all problems.

buckwheat34

Seaman Apprentice

Update, we got her up and running today and did some fishing. Ran a full tank of fuel with seafoam in the process. The no start problem appears may have been my starting process. I was pumping the fuel ball first and then choking the engine when I turned the key to start. I did not pump the fuel ball at all and choked just a bit after the first key turn and she took right off and ran all day with no trouble. This is my first boat and I'm not familar with the process yet. SHe would push the Bluefin Superhawk 16' about 20 to 22 mph per the gage on the boat and idle was fine too. I did get up to 15.5 volts on the gage on the dash wich seams a little high. I'll be checking it per the procedure i read on the forum yesterday. I had water flow out the hole in the rear, but it was not a steady stream. More like a spray with exhaust. Is this normal?

"I'm going all in" on the boat and will order the service manual today so I can educate myself on the requirements. When I put her up for the winter I am going to pull the head and service the impeller (owner says it was change 2 years ago). May require some work or a rebuild, but I've overhaulled a couple of CAT motors myself with a service manual and I'll give it a shot. I did change the oil in the lower unit before I put her in the water.

Thanks for the help - gone fishing,
John