new rubex 4blade

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander
Just recieved my solas rubex 4 12.75 x17 from iboats,for 03 F90 yamaha,$115 on sale sweet!the prop. looks well made and more robust than the fact. alum. 3blade.New prop came w/ a rubber spacer from the front of the prop, to the inside of lower unit.the necked down front of the prop is short by 1/4 3/8" to be snug.. will the rubber last?, will the prop act like a vented prop w/o the spacer?will it stop fishing line like the factory prop that fit into the lwr unit w/o the rubber?anyone have experience w these props?

davlafont

Cadet
Re: new rubex 4blade

New prop came w/ a rubber spacer from the front of the prop, to the inside of lower unit.

Sounds like you're refering to the interchangeable hub. Does it have four flattened sides with rounded-off corners to fit the inner cavity of the prop? If so, this hub is what transfers the force of the spinning shaft to the prop itself. The nut-washer-spacer combo and the thrust washer only prevent the prop from moving fore/aft on the shaft. You must use the hub.

I can't speak to the longevity because my own Rubex props are still in the box in my garage. But heavy duty rubber like that is common in automotive bushings and motor mounts. Don't let the material worry you. It might be fair to ask if Solas is (or sub-contracts to) a quality manufacturer or if the Rubex design is sound in its use of rubber, but a thick rubber block like that is standard practice.

ExxWhy

Seaman Apprentice

I think the OP is referring to a rubber band type thing that fits around the front of the prop.

Can't speak to longevity, only had mine for 6 weeks. (still looks good for now) If it calls for using it and most do, then you definitely need to use it. I left it off the first time out because I thought it fit too snug and it didn't seem right to have it on. Wrong! It vented horribly from the exhaust gases and would barely plane the boat. Put the band on and it was a different boat. Very pleased with the improvement in hole shot and general responsiveness.

My guess is it is something that will need replacement every couple seasons, but surely can't be too expensive.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Exxwhy,you were correct about the rubber band looking part,this part is not listed or shown in any of solas's advertising or tech.info that I could find.(they say the blades are designed for 4strokes),but it seems you need an adapter to mate the prop to the motor for merc,mariner,force,honda,yamaha, nissan,tohatsu,suzuki.why not make the prop fit w/o it?Maybe it is benifitual,but I cant find any info on it.do all solas props have it?.anyway I have not even run it yet, but Im sure it will satisfy me If it does half of what postings have said it will do.I will post my results W/G3 1860 sc alum. jonboat.From fruitless searches online It would seem this is a rare boat/engine factory combo.oh, the part number is 73191005 adapter ring.and i think ill order some spares!

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

OK i just got back from the lake w new prop.the difference is very noticeable between alum.yamaha 3blade and alum rubex 4bld both 17 pitch. the boat is faster.est. 3to5 mph.steering response is much more pronounced at all speeds.I can now turn hard at wot.when before it felt dangerous as if the stern wanted to slip sideways or jump out of the water! even at trailer approach speed steering is much more responsive.acceleration at all speeds is improved. and rough water performance seems better.the prop is also very smooth running. and hardly any noise or clunk when shifting forward and reverse.did I say I was very impressed?I will get a tach and accurate speed readings for both props soon.but i puchased the prop before the sale ended ,w/o buying a tach first as recomended by everyone.I believe this prop has much less slip than the old one and will buy another when i check the rpms w the tiny tach.maybe a 15 or 13 for trolling as both props are just a little bit to fast but not much.thanks Iboats and solas!!

Last edited: