Oil spill

Status
Not open for further replies.

vhuevos7

Seaman
Re: Oil spill

I havent heard or might i say payed attentention in a week about that situation. I think the oil is going to be making a mess of things for a long while. That is a real bummer too, that oil spill has caused some problems for some folks.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

mother nature doing her thing

its now the 3rd day the skimmer boats have sat idle in the harbor

vhuevos7

Seaman

I guess BP owes Mother nature one. Sounds like the disspersants had a good role, I was doubting that stuff would be efective.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's been real good that they finally got that well under control, but now that everybody is paying attention I was reading this morning they found an abandoned leaker off lousiana.

oddjob

Commander

What is going on? Heard on the news that it disappears.

Yes I heard that also, back when and now......imagine that!......on the flip side some say its still there...just hiding under the surface. I guess if one ignores science that can be a reality.
I hope everyone can get back to work in the gulf coast. Enough jobs in our nation have been killed already.

waterinthefuel

Commander

Oil is a natural substance created by nature and destroyed by nature.

Do you have a clue how much oil and gas leaks into the gulf naturally every year? I've heard estimates as much as 5000 barrels of oil and gas per day. Now that's a pretty heavy estimate but it is well known that oil and gas are natural substances and leak into the gulf without human intervention.

There are different grades of crude. How can you compare Valdez to the Gulf when Valdez had a different grade (and thus color) of oil than the Gulf spill? The gulf spill was considered light sweet crude, the Valdez was some heavy dense crude oil. It's like comparing a leak of engine oil to cooking oil. They might both be oil, but they're totally different chemically.

No matter how bad the media tries, they can't seem to make this spill look bad. They completely rule out the option that it's decomposing on its own. It MUST be somewhere right? I mean natural things in nature don't just rot away right? Yea, right. I'll give you real news: There are oil eating bacteria in the Gulf that will and are breaking down the oil into harmless byproducts. Now, stick that in your oil pipe and smoke it! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

So are you saying that there really shouldn't be any long term effects from the Gulf spill? The logic behind that is there, just something I have difficulty accepting as this spill being a non-issue.

waterinthefuel

Commander

Well, define long term? 5 years? Maybe 10? Yea, but in geologic time no, this spill meant nothing.

No, the world won't end because of this spill. The skimmer boats have nothing to do for 3 days now. They can't find any oil to skim. Where did it go? The hot sun evaporated all the toxins and the rest fell to the sea floor to be eaten by natural bacteria that eats up what spills into the gulf naturally.

Basically BP helped some bacteria get really really fat.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

See that, I learned something today. I was thinking the way the media has been wanting us to think. I just hope you're right, and that this won't have serious effects on the water.

waterinthefuel

Commander

Well, again, define serious. These are abstract terms you are using, direct from your media coverage.

Will there be a temporary rise in the price of seafood? Probably, but that's due to the gov't shutting down all these areas to fishing without proof that there is contaminated fish coming out of those areas. I'm already hearing reports that without the commercial fishing, the recreational fishing will be unbelievable next year.

Will there be some short term inconveniences? Sure, I'm not saying life will be dandy. But I'm sure as hell going to say that this isn't nearly as bad as Valdez as far as wildlife is concerned. Think about it for a minute, an estimated 50 MILLION gallons of oil went into the gulf. For that, we saw what, maybe a dozen dead birds and turtles? Ok.....50 million gallons of oil and a dozen dead birds....either we don't have many birds down here or we don't have much oil down here. The truth is.....the oil sunk so fast on its own that it didn't effect the wildlife that much. It also, for the most part, stayed offshore. The reports you hear from Florida and their "pristine" beaches isn't even a measurable percent of what went in the gulf. By far, most stayed harmlessly offshore, be to broken down into its natural substances by naturally occurring bacteria. Notice I didn't say "at all" as of course there is SOME effect. It's just not as bad as the media wants you to believe.

And to establish my credentials of credibility: my father works for the MMS and has worked for almost 40 years for the MMS. He has inspected many platforms offshore and was one of the handful of guys that did the "walkaround" inspection on the vessel BP used to capture the oil whenever they started to actually recover some. There were a half dozen or so MMS engineers inspecting that boat, my dad being one of them. He was CHOSEN to do it because of his incredible knowledge of the oil and gas industry.

Last Saturday he personally met the deputy undersecretary of the interior, the guy right under Salazar. Like I said, I know my ****, I've been living it since I was born and I constantly ask questions.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just too much temptation to stray beyond civil discourse here.

Status
Not open for further replies.