Neutral Circle button seems irrelevant now

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Put the drive back on and checked to see if it all was good and as far as i can tell all went well.
Issue is when I start the boat I dont have to push in the circle in the shift to start her up anymore ...the boat seems to go in all fwd nuetral and reverse but somehow i have byppassed the start up procedure meaning i dont have to press in the circle button( commander 3000) ...mind you i have the throttle disconnected from the carb right now but i didnt think that has any bearing on it. What is going on why would this occur?

any help is appreciated. I havent really dug deep into this yet i figured i would throw it to anyone that might have experienced this before i start banging my head to figure it out. Im still not in the water and the natives are getting restless.

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Neutral Circle button seems irrelevant now

bump

4hunters

Cadet

Sorry, I haven't a clue what the problem is but I would like to see some ideas on a solution since this seems to be a somewhat unique problem.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Issue is when I start the boat I dont have to push in the circle in the shift to start her up anymore ...the boat seems to go in all fwd nuetral and reverse but somehow i have byppassed the start up procedure meaning i dont have to press in the circle button( commander 3000) ...mind you i have the throttle disconnected from the carb right now but i didnt think that has any bearing on it. What is going on why would this occur?

I'll give it a shot, looked at the manual for the 3000. There are two internal arms, the shift arm and the throttle arm. When you are in neutral there is a cam on the shift arm that holds a microswitch (neutral safety switch) closed. From what I can gather the y/r wire from the start position of the ignition switch passes through this switch on the way to the slave solenoid. If you shift from N without the button being pushed both arms move and the cam moves and releases the N switch which opens the start circuit. When you push the button, the throttle arm is uncoupled from the shift arm, (and is free to move) which stays in place with the cam on the N switch and the start circuit complete. So if the throttle and shift are working properly, for example if you shove the control handle all the way forward and it goes in gear and the throttle opens, the two arms are correctly coupled together (and the cam must have moved off of the switch). If it will start in gear with the throttle open, the the most logical conclusion is that you have a defective neutral safety switch, that is not opening when the cam releases it. But then again I'm just guessing:confused::rolleyes:

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I thought my neutral safety switch was located on my valve cover and if my boat was going from forward to neutral and back to reverse the switch was working. I need to review this problem again before continuing this thread and make sure im being accurate in my account of this issue i need a second attempt and see the problem again ,I llet you guys know what the scenario is. Ill update the tread tomorrow Thanks for the replies guys.

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

s the neutral safety switch the one with the layard that is run/off? Because it seems in the off position i can still get the engine started leading me to believe this is the culprit. loose wiring or bad switch. Am i on the right tracki?

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

the lanyard is supposed to connect to YOU, then if you fall over board, the engine will shut off.. the engine should then NOT run or start ( can turn over thought ) if that Switch is in the OFF Position.

THe Neutral Safety switch is in the control box for F/R-Throttle.

You would typically push in the button so you can Put the shifter INTO Throttle Only Operation/Neutral Only

ELSE when the button is NOT pushed, you can then shift the lower into forward or reverse and further will give throttle.

You shouldn't try to start the engine at much more than idle.

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

well , thanks for the info kainon i appreciate it. It seems as though the man overboard switch is not working at all.But I can start the boat so I might be boating for a bit without it and Im aware of its significance, The boat will start in either the run or off position. It goes into Neutral, Drive and reverse with no problems.
http://www.allafloat.co.uk/finestboatuk/manuals/MERCRUISER/Throttle control manual.pdf

I dont see where the neutral safety switch ..you say its in the control box

I see the lanyard switch on the diagram.. I realize the diagram in my link is missing the box where the cables are. Is the box and its contents it in the merc manual because im having a hard time finding it maybe i have to get glasses. Thanks for your help. whats the price on this switch anyhow and do you guys no what its part number is?

ftl900

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a similar issue, so I'm listening intently. :D

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I dont see where the neutral safety switch ..you say its in the control box

I see the lanyard switch on the diagram.. I realize the diagram in my link is missing the box where the cables are. Is the box and its contents it in the merc manual because im having a hard time finding it maybe i have to get glasses. Thanks for your help. whats the price on this switch anyhow and do you guys no what its part number is?

Which switch?? The stop switch is #16 here http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...bdesc=Commander+3000+Classic(827270A+1+-+A11)

An example of the neutral safety switch is here: #5 (Bayliner) http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...7&bnbr=35&bdesc=Modular+Components(Design+II) DO NOT KNOW IF THAT IS CORRECT ONE FOR YOUR CONTROL!

Just to be clear, if you put the boat in gear without the throttle button pushed, will the boat start?

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys that was the information needed i understand exactly what i need to do now. I'm not sure when i will attempt this but I will update the thread when i do . Thanks Stonyloan Kainon and DonS. you guys are great.

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

[QUOTE

Just to be clear, if you put the boat in gear without the throttle button pushed, will the boat start?[/QUOTE

I have tried to start tthe boat two ways
The right way - push in circle and move to a forward detent with boat in neutral( I believe this to be the correct way this also has the laynard switch in run. No prob it works this way.

2--- I leave the big circle out but no forward detent or reverse detente and the laynard switch is off it starts as well.

I might need to see if there are some other pieces of the puzzle im missing.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Do not push in the big circle and push the throttle forward to first detent. Will it turn over/start?

If not then the neutral safety switch is working.

It just sounds like your lanyard stop switch is malfunctioning...

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do not push in the big circle and push the throttle forward to first detent. Will it turn over/start?

I have not tried that yet, ill give that a shot on Monday. Thanks Alpheus

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

If not then the neutral safety switch is working.

It just sounds like your lanyard stop switch is malfunctioning...

Do that, Agree!

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

well i put her in forward and tried to start her up and it wouldnt start . So I guess the neutral safety switch is working. Thanks guys Im not finished though i will try to make this situation right. TBC