OLD OIL TC-W in a can

rick101

Cadet
I was given a couple of these cans of oil.
Rated TC-W can I or should I use it?

Attachments

• IMG_0621.JPG
    IMG_0621.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 0

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer
Re: OLD OIL TC-W in a can

I'd open the can, pour into a clear container and if it looked OK and smelled OK, I'd burn it in my 1974 and 1983 kickers. If someone with actual petroleum expertise told me that oil degenerates in a can over time, I'd throw it away (properly of course!). But I doubt if any such credible source is available. I might compromise and mix it half and half with fresh oil in the kickers. I probably wouldn't run it in my main engine though.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Good for the weed whacker. Why risk the outboard !!:eek:
My 2 cents.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

On that Pickers TV show, old oil cans are valuable. You might have struck black gold there.:eek:

Brewman61

Ensign

I was thinking the same thing. Those guys drool over old oil cans.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

That can is well over 30 years old. Don't use it in a motor, but save as older marine stuff is collectable.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Remember that stuff is likely early 70s. Do you have any motors from that time period, or earlier? If so, those are candidates for it's use. TC-W was the first designation of Two Cycle-Watercooled motor oil. It was specified for my '73 Yamaha Motorcycle, and my '77 Merc Tower. TCW-II and TCW-III have succeeded it.

robert graham

Admiral

I have an old 1 pint can of Esso(before it became Exxon) Outboard Motor oil, maybe it's worth something?, if anybody wants it?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Oil, like anything else, degrades over time, 4 years is considered about the shelf life.

As for running it in olders motors, the reason they recommend TCW II instead of III is because III wasn't around, not because the needs of a 2 stroke changed, III is better for even an older motor. ( the needs did change as DFI and other advances were made though)

Save it for the display shelf or give it away, although the chainsaw oiler would be a good spot for it.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

I have to correct my earlier post about the age of your oil can. I recently looked at a 1968 Johnson brochure and that same can was pictured in it. That could make your oil over 42 years old !

tuffshot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It would be kind of interesting to do a heads up test with todays oils and an older oil. That would be to see if the new products are better or hype. hmmm?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

It would be kind of interesting to do a heads up test with todays oils and an older oil. That would be to see if the new products are better or hype. hmmm?

The NMMA has all the old data, pictures, and tested parts and today's oils are much much better than the earlier ones were.

tuffshot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The NMMA has all the old data, pictures, and tested parts and today's oils are much much better than the earlier ones were.

Thanks for the comfirmation sir,

I figured with the closer tollerances in todays engines there should be a differance.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

funny thing, the tolerances in a 1968 55 jonnyrude are about identical to the last carbed jonnyrude V6.
only so many ways to seal a cylinder and only so much room to play when using roller bearings and ball bearings.
other funny thing is that its been that way over 100 years.

tuffshot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just an observation (not scientific)
Newer auto engines run a lot lower viscosity than they used to. 5/20 is now the norm, where 10/30 or 10/40 used to be depending on driving, weather conditions etc.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Just an observation (not scientific)
Newer auto engines run a lot lower viscosity than they used to. 5/20 is now the norm, where 10/30 or 10/40 used to be depending on driving, weather conditions etc.

Much of this has to do with meeting EPA mileage requirements, there is less drag with lower viscosity oils so more HP goes to the wheels. This is a no cost way for the manufacturer to get a slight increase in MPG. There was a huge controversy (still is sort of) about premature wear from the lower viscosity oil not protecting the engine as well, some people even stuck with the higher viscosity oils. Current automotive engines seem to be able to go at least 200,000 miles with even a moderate amount of care, so the lower visc oil must not be all that bad.