Best music artist ever?

Pony

Rear Admiral
Re: Best music artist ever?

Not bad Blade, not bad......wasnt expecting that answer from anyone here. A pleasant surprise.

Kalian

Chief Petty Officer

They were the best in the 90's. Head like a hole is my favorite nin song.

blade_x

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by Pony.:<br /> Not bad Blade, not bad......wasnt expecting that answer from anyone here. A pleasant surprise.
Industrial is just what works for me now. I have about everything Trent has done and in spite of his silly *** lib tendencies I DO respect his musical abilities. ("Closer" is mine and the lovely girlfriends song, lol) I know, people are surprised that a 50 year old conservative is such a hard core NIN fan, lol. Two of my sons were at a NIN concert recently and one called home middle of the show just to hold his cell phone up in the air so I could hear a couple of my fav songs live. It was way cool!

Pony

Rear Admiral

it sounds way cool......<br /><br />I'm sure many would find it odd that mine and my girlfriends song it by Journey

blade_x

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by Kalian:<br /> They were the best in the 90's. Head like a hole is my favorite nin song.
I have always thought that "Head Like A Hole" will someday be considered NIN's signature song. I think it was certainly their first break thru hit. The cd it came from "Pretty Hate Machine" was the first NIN cd I got. I love it too! "Wish" "Sin" "Mr Self Destruct" *Closer To God" I could go on and on theres so many great NIN songs.

blade_x

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by Pony.:<br /> it sounds way cool......<br /><br />I'm sure many would find it odd that mine and my girlfriends song it by Journey
My youngest son is a musician in a band. Their music is definitely metal but he really likes the older "classic rock" too. Much more so than me even, lol. I was listening to Journey while I was in the USAF in the '70's. It still sounds great too!<br /><br /><br />on edit: Oh hey, Congrats on 1000 posts Pony!!! <br /><br />WOOT!!!

heycods

Captain

male Jim Reeves female Patsy Kline, Maby the later years of Marty Robbins were as smothe as Jim Reeves. Yea hes country . as close as Iever came to rock was Eagles and CCR . I like willie waylon and the boys. Bluegrass I love but I cant take large doses of it. goodun lwr

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Frank Marino<br /><br />OR<br /><br />Frank Zappa.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Best guitarists: Steve Morse, John McLaughlin, Eric Johnson, Jeff Beck, Allan Holdsworth. Eric Clapton should be included too.<br /><br />Best bassists: Jeff Berlin, Jaco Pastorious<br /><br />Best drummer: Bill Bruford, PERIOD!<br /><br />Best keyboards: Josef Zawinul, Chick Corea.<br /><br />Most notable innovators: Frank Zappa, Jimi Hendrix. Hendrix was far more influential.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

Pony

Rear Admiral

I can't remembered if i mention Pink Floyd or not, but "shine on you crazy diamonds" is one of my favorite songs

QC

Supreme Mariner

Wow DD. See my list near the top . . . I dig Holdsworth etc.<br /><br />I am still pissed that no one other than yours truly has mentioned the Beatles. It's just not right.

Baldguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No mention of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band?<br /><br />Second to Bruce is Boston and then Van Halen.

blade_x

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by Pony.:<br /> I can't remembered if i mention Pink Floyd or not, but "shine on you crazy diamonds" is one of my favorite songs
The "wish you were here" album that "shine on you crazy diamond" comes from is an all time fav of mine. I woulkd vote it a Top 10 rock album for sure. But Pink Floyd just had so many great albums. Wish You Were Here, Division Bell, The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon, Meddle, so many good ones. I was just looking at a discography of theirs and theres a bazillion remastered releases in the last 10 years and it looks like Wish You Were Here has even more than The Wall or Dark Side of the Moon which sorta surprised me. All good stuff though. Pink Floyd just rocks.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

QC, how about that? <br /><br />It seems that we share some musical preferences...I too am a fan of the original Allman Brothers Band. "Live at the Fillmore East" is without a doubt, the finest live recording of all time by any rock band. I have to say that I think The Grateful Dead, with the release of "Live / Dead," held that title for a few brief years.<br /><br />And I can see that you are familiar with the phenomenon aka Weather Report. "Heavy Weather" is their best work, IMO.<br /><br />I understand what you're saying about those fellows from Liverpool. They were truly a polished act, and I still marvel at the perfection they etched into the vinyl, back in the days. I guess for some reason, they just get edged out, but you are correct---they were great! The sad thing is that the two most talented were the first and second to depart.<br /><br />If you haven't paid a listen to Steve Morse Band's "Coast to Coast," "High Tension Wires," or "Southern Steel," you have been missing out on some of the best stuff done on a fretboard in quite some time. Check it out!<br /><br />-dd-

dogsdad

Lieutenant

If I may, I want to add a bassist to my list. I don't know how I could ever have overlooked Stanley Clarke!<br /><br /><br />-dd-

QC

Supreme Mariner

DD,<br /><br />I'll look into Morse. Stanley Clarke is a favorite. Yes, Heavy Weather. Used to be a big Zappa freak, Also did the Mahavishnu Orchestra thing . . . I still love prog, hence the Yes and Genesis stuff, but trust me, Ambrosia is a prog band and the real deal.<br /><br />I disagree on the Fab Four though. McCartney is the heart and soul of that band and I believe the best songwriter. He can be cheesy, but ultimately the most memorable stuff was his. I strongly suggest if you have any love for the Beatles you MUST catch McCartney on tour.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I agree QC, McCartney was the heart of the Beatles. There are a few I put up on a pedestal with him as great writers/ singers. Niel Diamond, David Bowie to name a few.<br /><br /><br />Thats what sucks about todays music. No one writes anything anymore, its all pre- written crap. Bands now will sing about girl problems and such and its all made up and purely for sales.

blade_x

Petty Officer 3rd Class

*bump!* this one deserves more discussion for sure!