96 Sea Ray 3.0 mercruiser starting problems

brayfield

Recruit
I recently purchased a 96 Sea Ray and have a few issues to work out. The main problem is starting. Cold start is simple, one full throttle pump and it fires right up. The issues come when restarting after engine is warm. I must work the throttle from 3/4 to full as if flooded. After 3-4 seconds of cranking the motor comes to life emits black smoke and very rich fumes (flooded) then runs great. My first thought is carburetor - most likely floats or sticking needle, but the boat idles perfect. The major reason to think float/needle is the flooding, but also I noticed several small gas drips into the carb with engine off. Is this normal?

The biggest suspect for me is the electric choke, but I have no expertise (Sure miss pull to choke, push to not). The choke is closing when the boat is warm, this seems to cause the boat to not start unless I provide plenty of fuel. Please advise what I should check. What exactly should the choke be doing when cold and warm starting? What keeps the air intake flap open when the motor no longer needs the choke? The only thing I have done is new plugs.

This is my first post, I have read many of the others and appreciate the wonderful advice. I will be a member for many years to come, and hopefully one day be able to contribute something useful.

blacklab75

Cadet
Re: 96 Sea Ray 3.0 mercruiser starting problems

I'm having the same issues with same year/make of boat and engine. It would be great if someone who was more knowledgeable would be able to answer.

chopzuk

Recruit

As you can see, I'm a newbie here too. I think you will find some of the more "seasoned" guys hope you will find the hundred (no really!!) post already covering the fuel drip issue, but I'll throw some knowledge out here for you. Not trying to be a butthead, but there are a LOT of post on the fuel drip issues...

The dripping in the venturies after shutdown is indicative of float/needle and seat issues that could be just some trash, or you may need a new float or a needle and seat (they offer a spring loaded needle specifically for this problem). Search "Mercarb flooding" in the search and begin reading some good advice!
The choke closing on a warm engine could just indicate a need for choke adjustment, which can be done by loosening the three little screws on the choke heater (normally a single purple wire plugs into the heater and a single black wire held with one of the three little screws is the ground attaches to the heater or choke coil) and turning it in the direction indicated "lean" a notch or two (the direction that OPENS the choke plate more). If that doesn't make sense, you will definitely need to search out some post, as you are in over your head until you get a little more knowledgeable.

This link from a previous post may help:
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/13/13B5R2.PDF

The choke should fully open within a couple of minutes of run time, and shouldn't close completely until "completely" cool. Make sense?

Use the search engine and you will find many pictures and some advice that is worded a lot better than what I've given you.

I'm familier with the fuel dripping topic because that is what lead me to this forum in the first place!

Good luck, and follow up post are GREATLY appreciated so that they know their advice worked and all us boaters benefit! And again, if I sound rude or whatever, it's not my intention...I just type rudely:p

Last edited:

brayfield

Recruit

Thanks chopzuk, I will look into the other post although I think your reply is the exact solution.

FYI, I have tried to wire the choke full open. This did not fix the problem, but as you mentioned the carb flooding issue is more likely the major issue. If the flooding problem is fixed, I bet the starting problems will be resolved.

I will keep you posted. Thanks again for your help.