83 johnson problem

13starsinax

Cadet
hello there,
i need some of the wisdom i have been coming to this site for in the past. ok, my motor has movement when you grab the lower cowling you can move the whole motor every thing as one piece not just the cowling or motor itself forward and back roughly an inch to inch and a half. movement that is not supposed to be there.. ive looked at schematis and i see the rubber mount upper it does look very rough and not like the diagram the bolts come through the upper mount and into the arm shaft assembly with the rubber not fully covering the bolts. when i removed the exhaust housing cover front i see the drive shaft and there is no bushing around it and there where rubber parts lose in that area, and i cant find a diagram reflecting that there should be one there...the shift rod that goes through the lower cowling has a gasket or bushing around it to that does not look real good but i can not really get a good look at it with the motor together..so where is this play comming from? please help with any ideas and i will keep a good watch to awnser you back..thank you

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 83 johnson problem

How many horsepower?

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Are the rubber mount bolts tight? I am suspecting that rubber mount is the problem. Or bolt #90 may be broke.

See pic

Attachments

• 50.jpg
    50.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 0

13starsinax

Cadet

as far as i can tell with just the front plate off the bolts are as tight as they have ever been no fresh metal rubs or the bolt seperated from the arm shaft assembly. is the rubber mount supposed to go the length of the bolts? also the arm shaft makes like a half moon yoke on its backside does the ruber supposed to got from the mount to arm assembly? i dont see how this would take up the slack..please keep bouncing ideas to me..i am in real need of this knowledge...

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Yes there is that bolt#90 that is supposed to be threaded into the yoke.

Correction ..... there are two bolts#90 that go through the rubber and thread into the yoke.

13starsinax

Cadet

yes sir the bolts do go all the way to the yoke, but the rubber part 70 does not go the length of the bolts..the rubber part in the diagram looks like two BIG nipples...i dont know how long they are supposed to be but they do not run the length of the bolts. and even if they did that wouldnt pull down the bolts any further would it? what about the shaft the shift linkage rod goes down is there a bushing of some sort in it that would pull the motor back tight to the swivel bracket part# 1?

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Yes that bushing could be wore out.
You are just going to have to move the motor around and find out where the slop is. It is difficult to diagnose without actually being there.

13starsinax

Cadet

my dad talked to mechanic and he sais to pull the powerhead and replace the motor bushings...what bushings is he refering to? i dont see them on the schematic??????:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

13starsinax

Cadet

hello mr cofe...and thank you for your support i have hit a wall of @#$% yet again...i took lose my shift linkage, got my rear exhast upper housing off, only to find that the 8 bolts comming from the bottom up to the power head are to fd up and i can not get them to lossen or really even get a socket or wrench really....what do you suggest? chisel and easy out the bolts later? im really getting to the breaking point i had a motor i could of ran the way it was yes it had slack and who knows what it would do long term to im in my carport and got xyz steps done and walllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.....i would love to just call you i dont know how that works? please keep feeding your help!

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

I have had good results using 6point sockets in standard and metric to find one that will fit on a damaged bolt head. I have sometimes had to drive the socket on with a hammer, but it worked.

If you can get a 41/2" grinder in to grind off the bolt heads, and take it apart and use PB blaster, a torch, and small pipe wrench to take the bolts out.

I think those bolts are stainless steel, and if you know a weldor with a carbon air arc, those bolt heads could be cut out that way.

Take your time, and take a break if you get frustrated.....:)

13starsinax

Cadet

COFE????

allright i took your advice and took a breath...i ghad to grind the heads off the eight bolts...done,,,,,,,now i removed the remaining two bolts, and the lower cowling 4 bolts....im trying to lift the motor off the exhast housing and it will not budge???? please let me know..you have been great..thanks RWB

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

13starsinax

Cadet

ive droped the lower unit no problem removing it. the power head does not lift off??