3.7L disttributor drive gear eaten away

Bri7070

Cadet
I was out on the lake this weekend and all was going really good untel,,,,,,,

a small pop and then the engine died as if I turned the key off. tried to restart and would get popping thru the carb and no start.

I got towed in to the dock and started to trouble shoot and found that TDC #1 compression did not line up in the distributor as if I jumped a tooth. But how could that be when the distributor is driven directly off the cam?????

I pulled the cam and my distributor gear is eaten away and the cam gear is showing extream wear.

What would cause this? I disassmbiled the distributor and the only thing I could find is that there is a washer on the shaft just under the housing that has forks that point upwards and at the bottom of the houding there are forks that point downwards. If the forks are not interlocking the shaft is extreamly hard to turn.

Does anybody have an exploded diagram of our distributor? All of the pictures that I can find does not show this washer.

Where would be the best/cheapest place to buy a distributor?

Thank you
Brian

Bri7070

Cadet
Re: 3.7L disttributor drive gear eaten away

Eric,
Thanks for the links. I see that mallory makes a dist for us, but every place I can find it they are on back order.

Before I invest the money to fix this problem I want to know why this happened so I can prevent this from happning agian.

Brian

lilb

Seaman
Re: 3.7L disttributor drive gear eaten away

I just had the same problem with me 5.7. I was told to change the oil pump because mine was making to much pressure, and sure enough when i took the oil pump off and tried spinning it by hand it had a hard spot in it (to where i could barley turn it by hand). I had to pull the motorto do that not real happy as i just put it in a week prior.
Well I hope this helps you out, but also hope you dont have to pull the motor too.