Be Prepared for Bad Weather at All Times!!!

phillyg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Was anchored in the Potomac off Leesylvania State Park when I saw the storm coming in. Should have been more attentive by 10 minutes and I would have had no problems. Spent several precious minutes getting the anchor up and the winds picked up fast but I got to the marina with one other boat in front of me. We couldn't get into our slips and just barely tied off at the gas dock before it really hit. Boats behind us had to turn around and ride it out.

I did not have lines ready; dumb, dumb, dumb. Had to use my anchor line and a tube tow rope. The guy in front of me got his boat tied off by himself and came back to help us tie off. All the while I had an 8-yr old grand-daughter (who is very dramatic!) screaming down in the cabin.

Someone on one of the boats that turned around to ride it out was hit by lightning. My daughter said she saw someone doing CPR when they passed us to get in to the pier and ambulance. Hope he/she is okay.

Just listening to the news and apparently up to 70mph winds were observed in the area but a bit North of us. I'd estimate we had up to 50mph winds; a lot of lightning, too, which is what scares me. It's only the second time I've been through this type of storm in a 30' boat and I definitely don't want to do so again. In retrospect, I think I should have stayed put at anchor and rode it out.

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Be Prepared for Bad Weather at All Times!!!

Was anchored in the Potomac off Leesylvania State Park when I saw the storm coming in. Should have been more attentive by 10 minutes and I would have had no problems. Spent several precious minutes getting the anchor up and the winds picked up fast but I got to the marina with one other boat in front of me. We couldn't get into our slips and just barely tied off at the gas dock before it really hit. Boats behind us had to turn around and ride it out.

I did not have lines ready; dumb, dumb, dumb. Had to use my anchor line and a tube tow rope. The guy in front of me got his boat tied off by himself and came back to help us tie off. All the while I had an 8-yr old grand-daughter (who is very dramatic!) screaming down in the cabin.

Someone on one of the boats that turned around to ride it out was hit by lightning. My daughter said she saw someone doing CPR when they passed us to get in to the pier and ambulance. Hope he/she is okay.

Just listening to the news and apparently up to 70mph winds were observed in the area but a bit North of us. I'd estimate we had up to 50mph winds; a lot of lightning, too, which is what scares me. It's only the second time I've been through this type of storm in a 30' boat and I definitely don't want to do so again. In retrospect, I think I should have stayed put at anchor and rode it out.

www.grandwindow.com/radar.html

Provide me with the long and lat of your boating area and I will make you a quick site. It keeps me out of the rain, I don't need to deal with seas on the lakes I boat on.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

www.grandwindow.com/radar.html

Provide me with the long and lat of your boating area and I will make you a quick site. It keeps me out of the rain, I don't need to deal with seas on the lakes I boat on.

So you create a link for a specific geographical area? So if mine are:
Latitude = 27.8999, Longitude = -82.8382
Lat = 27 degrees, 54.0 minutes North
Long = 82 degrees, 50.3 minutes West

You can hook me up with the current weather radar?

sasto

Captain

Glad to hear you and family are safe. Having expierenced something like that should make you a better boater. Keeping your cool and the family safe are two great qualities In FL the weather changes rapidly so we leave the dock in the rain and return in the sunshine, or, leave in the sunshine and return in the rain.

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

So you create a link for a specific geographical area? So if mine are:
Latitude = 27.8999, Longitude = -82.8382
Lat = 27 degrees, 54.0 minutes North
Long = 82 degrees, 50.3 minutes West

You can hook me up with the current weather radar?

www.grandwindow.com/beefer.html

beefer I like the '69 Smokin Hot Wife...I myself have an '81...some say beauty comes with age...thats what some say though

hopkins11

Cadet

Sweet! How about a site for the upper chessie?
Say:
+39? 5' 6.00", -76? 22' 41.00"

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

a jet skier died; he was in his 60's and was knocked off his ski trying to make it back to shore.