toon tow??

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class
besides the bow eye to the winch,,where else should I strap down for towing. There are no eye bolts on my trailer to tie to, should I install some??? 20 ft landau on a single axle Bear trailer...

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer
Re: toon tow??

Secure the back also with transom straps.

click for bigger pic

I hook to the rear eye and to the trailer where there is a tab bolted.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

In Physics 101 you learn that "an object in motion tends to stay in motion". Here is an example where either the person never took Physics 101, flunked it if he/she did, or simply thought that gravity would hold the boat on the trailer. Obviously it does to a point, but it doesn't take much to overcome that so "yes" you need stern tie downs and you also need a safety chain between the bow eye and the trailer. The winch strap will not hold the boat in a crash.

Trailleroops.jpg

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess I didn't word my question properly. The problem is, there are no specific tie-down locations on the trailer. To get it from where I bought it to here, I wrapped tie downs around the trailer frame and then up to the corner eyes on the boat. That doesn't seem very secure since the strap could slip on the frame. I'll go have a look for the "tabs" that Jeff in PA mentioned.

I could drill and put in some eye-bolts for both transom and bow lock downs. I hadn't thought about the chain, but I'll do that. Thanks for the idea.

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Couldn't stand it. Just went out in the dark, in the pouring rain, to see if I have rear tabs on my Bear trailer - and I do! Just little flanges with holes in them that I assume are for the strap hooks. They'll work as well as an eye bolt.

And as to the front, two huge uprights (bumper stops) as well as a welded set of stair steps should serve to stop any forward motion, but I still like the chain or cable idea from the bow eye.

Thanks!