so I have an old Johnson...

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: so I have an old Johnson...

If it has a double line hose the cap must be tight. If it's a single hose it needs a vent somewhere. Post the model # of the engine for better help.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

If this is the 9.5 from previous posts then yes it should be a vented tank. May be a vent screw on the cap or somewhere else depending on model of tank.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

older metal Johnson tanks have an automatic vent in the tank.

most metal Mercury tanks had the vent screw in the cap.

Intermediate Mariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Consider ditching the old tank and add a fuel pump and get a new tank... those metal ones can explode.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Anything with fuel in it can explode. Pressurized fuel tanks have been in use for a lot of years, and still are made today (fuel stoves, lanterns), and work fine. I don't think he has a pressurized tank, it just an old metal one which work just fine if the vent works. And if it's on his 9.5 it has a fuel pump.

tal

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had 2 6 gallon metal tanks on my little yamaha 50hp, I hated those things. If you kept the cap on tight (so fuel won't splash out) then back to the dock for a while, the tanks would build pressure from heat and not vent. This caused gasoline to be pushed passed my carbs and flood the lower 2 cylinders. Even though the floats were sealing off it'd force them from so much pressure.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Well, you're supposed to have the cap on tight and the tank vent in the cap open to let off the pressure...sounds like your cap vent was plugged or not open.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I only close a vent if I'm actually carrying the tank and don't want gas sloshing on me. Other than that if it's on the boat the vent is open always.

gintaras

Cadet

non screw, but the cap is kind of like a car radiator cap in which you can open it but leave it in place to allow it to vent but still locked into place.. I used it in river today for about 5 hours and other than trying to idle lower than it could run, it ran great. I ran it with the cap loose, it can't fall of because you have to push it down to get past the lockout.. maybe I shouldn't run it like this? I don't know but it ran great.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

If it works I'd keep it, I really like those old tanks. Reccomendation though if you do go plastic. Spend the extra for the Moeller, or quicksilver tank. Much better quality than attwood and will actually hold the 6 gal as advertised. And it is thicker , darker plastics that won't sun rot like the thin attwoods.

gintaras

Cadet

Sounds like this is what you have (pic). Cheap enough to replace or go for the plastic tank w/manual vent.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/boa/1856761060.html

yeah that is exactly the one that I have but I don't think anything is wrong with mine, I was just asking about the proper operation of it. I am new to boats and just redid the carb, impeller and points, I found a new hobby and it allows me to fish in places I couldn't reach in the past :)

gintaras

Cadet

If it works I'd keep it, I really like those old tanks. Reccomendation though if you do go plastic. Spend the extra for the Moeller, or quicksilver tank. Much better quality than attwood and will actually hold the 6 gal as advertised. And it is thicker , darker plastics that won't sun rot like the thin attwoods.

I love the old steel tank, it's got some character ya know..

jasper60103

Commander

yeah that is exactly the one that I have but I don't think anything is wrong with mine, I was just asking about the proper operation of it. I am new to boats and just redid the carb, impeller and points, I found a new hobby and it allows me to fish in places I couldn't reach in the past :)

Yea, I have a metal tank as well and like it a lot.

IES99

Petty Officer 1st Class

The title begs for punch lines. Good luck with your tank.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Whatever works...works. If it were mine, I'd watch the auction site for a replacement cap with the screw vent in the top...but that's just me.