please HELP!!! NOT SURE WHATS WRONG...

Matt 020906

Seaman Apprentice
I am a newbie to boating, today was my second day on the lake.

Everything was fine when out of nowhere my engine cuts off. I turn around to look at it and the hose that goes from fuel tank to engine was wrapped around the props, cut, and oil was leaking into the lake (the hose is long as hell and there was to much slack). I jumped in to untanlge it from the prop and notices that the pressure ball pump (not sure the real name) was gone and the tube was cut in half.

My dad had another pressure ball pump at home so I tried using that, it got hard but the engine still would not kick on fully.

What could be wrong?

Maybe water got sucked up and the spark plugs are wet?

What do you guys think? I cant be the first moron this happened to.

The engine is brand new, Yamaha 9.9.

Please help, any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks
MAtt

SKGrice

Seaman Apprentice
Re: please HELP!!! NOT SURE WHATS WRONG...

Have you pulled the plugs to check for any water? If you do have water in your fuel system then there are a few products made to "dry" it out. Like stabil..

Matt 020906

Seaman Apprentice

Have you pulled the plugs to check for any water? If you do have water in your fuel system then there are a few products made to "dry" it out. Like stabil..

Thanks for the reply SKG!

I did not open the top or anything. I was going to let it dry overnight, then go back and try in the AM, so you recommend chaning the spark plugs if there was water in there?

Do you think that water got in the where the hose got cut, maybe the enginse was sucking up water?

SKGrice

Seaman Apprentice

I know I would check to see if there was water in my fuel system and check the plugs too. It is better safe than sorry. It could be possible to suck up some water given that your main fuel feed was both cut and under water.

foodfisher

Captain

This is probably a first. Yes, you've got water all the way from the cut to the pistons. Imho. You'll need to go through the fuel system and drain water. Pull plugs (spark) and dry the cylinders, before rust starts.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If there's water in the motor don't "let it dry overnight", get the water out now.

There should be a drain plug on the bottom of each carb, unscrew it let all the fuel drain out, then pump the bulb until nothing but clean gas comes out and put it back in. Then try to restart it, if you just sucked some water in it should start at this point.

Doernuth

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its likely as the fuel system operates on a vacume principle. Pull the plugs, look for signs of water in the cylinders, crank the engine a couple of times without the plugs to clear the cylinders.

Spray in some fogging oil, into the sparkplug holes and try and start the engine on muffs.

Those ball pumps have check valves in them make sure it is installed in the correct direction.

Matt 020906

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Foodfisher

when you guys say fuel system, what exactly do you mean?

I guess i am the first moron this happened to.

Matt 020906

Seaman Apprentice

unfortunately I cant do anything tonight. ANd the boat/motor is docked in the lake.

But I will go there first thing tomorrow morning. I am not sure what you guys mean by drain plugs by the carbs.

Mntom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The plug that is meant is #17 in this DRAWING.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

unfortunately I cant do anything tonight. ANd the boat/motor is docked in the lake.

But I will go there first thing tomorrow morning. I am not sure what you guys mean by drain plugs by the carbs.

they are talking about the drain plug on the bottom of the float bowl,...thats a part of a carbuerator... here is a link that you can learn about a carb from...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor

JoLin

Vice Admiral

This is probably a first. Yes, you've got water all the way from the cut to the pistons. Imho. You'll need to go through the fuel system and drain water. Pull plugs (spark) and dry the cylinders, before rust starts.

Right (I hope you boat in fresh water and not salt). You need to clean out everything from the cut fuel line to the pistons. Drain the carbs and change out the fuel filter(s). Pull the plugs and crank the motor to blow out any water in the pistons, then spray a little fogging oil into the cylinders. Drain the carburetor bowl(s).

That should do it if the motor is a 2-cycle. If it's a 4-cycle you also need to change the motor oil.

Don't wait on this. If you do it all quickly you should be okay. And, secure the new fuel line better- I never heard this one before, either.

Good luck!

tonypizza

Seaman

Those ball pumps have an arrow on them be sure the arrow goes from the gastank to the motor and not the opposite i learn the hard way..good luck

tonypizza

Seaman

Those ball pumps have an arrow on them be sure the arrow goes from the gastank to the motor and not the opposite i learn the hard way..good luck

Matt 020906

Seaman Apprentice

I checked the boat first thing this morning, the fuses are dry and I checked the oil, it didnt look like there was any water in there.

Any help on where to find the carb, and how to drain it? This would not void the warranty would it?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Any help on where to find the carb, and how to drain it? This would not void the warranty would it?

The carb is on the front of the motor, probably under or behind some plastic shrouds. The drain screw is on the bottom.

SKGrice

Seaman Apprentice

Did you ever figure out what was going on with your motor?