Did we make a HUGE mistake?

plsports

Cadet
We have a 2000 Sea Ray 180BR with the 3.0 alpha 1 outdrive. we just updated from our 1990 Bayliner Capri with a 06 E-Tech 90hp. Well when we bought this boat it had a 23P prop on it just wasnt doing the job. It was only running about 4100RPM with Just myself and a friend. So since we pull skiers and tubes my dad and i ordered a 19P 4 Blade from IBOATS. So now down to my question. As dad was putting the prop on last night (we farm and dad always uses impacts) without thnking he took the prop nut off with the Impact and put the new prop on. He also put the nut back on with the Impact. without thinking i knew i had read before they are torqued specifically. What may we have screwed up? i havent had it in the water but it doesnt seem its changed any in the way the prop spins or what not. I was thinking maybe the torque settings were designed so people could remove the prop nut on the go if you spun one or hit something in the water. Any advice would be great. i was planning on backing the nut off and reapplying with the proper torque.

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Did we make a HUGE mistake?

I didn't realize props have a specific torque specification. Does anyone know what it should be torqued to, or do they vary depending on the prop?

robert graham

Admiral

I just tighten it good and tight, then tighten a bit more, or enough to align the holes in prop shaft with slots in nut for installing cotter pin. I doubt your dad did any damage with his impact wrench. Good Luck!

oldjeep

Admiral

You should be alright, hopefully he wasn't using a Thundergun

plsports

Cadet

not sure what a thundergun is but we own all mac tools and our guns are pretty strong i wouldnt doubt that nut has 100+ lbs on it

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

prop nut suppose to be at 50 ft lbs.

oldjeep

Admiral

not sure what a thundergun is but we own all mac tools and our guns are pretty strong i wouldnt doubt that nut has 100+ lbs on it

100+ lbs is nothing for an impact even a crappy one will do 250 my thundergun does 400

plsports

Cadet

o ok dad said he thinks it probably has 140lbs on it. i was gonna back it off tonight and retorque it right. hey by the way thanks for the response atleast you guys are making me feel better lol.

jdub2

Cadet

My engine manual says for me to torque my prop at 55lbs, so it depends on your engine. 50lbs sounds about right if you don't know the spec for yours. You're doing the right thing by taking it off and torquing it properly. The torque specs aren't just arbitrary numbers. While you have the prop off, if you didn't do it before, clean the splines and apply some marine grease (like 2-4-C) on them before reinstalling the prop. The grease will make it easier to remove the prop down the road if/when needed. If you have the proper tools already, might as well to it right. :D