Let's say I wanna install a tach... is it possible?

knehdn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had a thought the other night that a tach might be a good idea, but have no knowledge on how to wire one in. I have a 1961 40hp Johnson model RDS-23. Is it possible to wire in a tach?
Please and thank you.

....I've attached the schematic for my motor which I hope will help in the explanation of the installation (again, if possible).

Attachments

• Wiring1958_6135_40hpwithoutgenerato.jpg
    Wiring1958_6135_40hpwithoutgenerato.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 0

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Let's say I wanna install a tach... is it possible?

Get a tiny tach for the twin and wrap it around a plug wire, done. There is nothing on your motor otherwise to provide a tach signal, has to be inductive.

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

I agree. I have a "Tiny Tach" on one of my smaller motors. Also has an hour meter built in. If you do decide to get one you need to decide where you are going to mount the display unit so you can decide how long a wire you need to order. I just mounted my display right on the motor since it's a tiller motor, so I didn't need a longer wire. Only downside is it is powered by a non-replaceable battery.

ThePartsMan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had a tach in a hot rod once that had an inductive pickup. Try some auto performance companies.

knehdn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tiny Tach, eh? Never heard of it. But I looked it up... sounds like a plan, and I can mount it just inside the door (or on the inside of the door) on the front of the cover. Thanks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

There are tachs for that motor, however, you need to make sure they fit that application.

The reason is that most marine tachs run off the stator. That motor does not have a stator, so the points need to power it. Of course you have two sets of points, so most auto-type tachs will read 1/2 RPM.