Beyond denial and into planning

howlnmad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got a '89 B'liner 19' Capri Cuddy. I have excepted the fact that some serious interior work needs to be done... stringers, deck, rear seating, engine surround,transom and both lounge seats are shot (but the bases are still good and I have found factory replacement seats available with no bases).

First question... Is the foam in my barge any way used as structural?

Second... when rebuilding the aft seating, what would be the best core material, plywood or foam? I'm trying to lighten her up.

Third... Is the transom just lamenated ply thats adhered to the outer skin (oh yeah, it's a sterndrive), or is it sandwiched and I'm not seeing it properly? it appears to me to be the first.

Fourth... Any reason I can't add a locker in the deck for extra storage?

Fifth... can i cut sections of the stringer caps off and hawg out the rotting stringers and replace with seacast instead of wood?

I'm sure I'll have a thousand more questions but this is a good start. Thanks in advance for any help.

Bilgecrud

Cadet
Re: Beyond denial and into planning

Whats up TN fella! Got any pics?? The aft seating Id prob go with 3/8 plywood non treated, resined to death, saw a bayliner resto thread where the guy used ply and drilled 2' holes in the wood to make it lighter...just make sure to resin the inside of the holes you drill if you do it! Good Luck!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

First question... Is the foam in my barge any way used as structural?

Doubtful. Replace it with cut up sheet foam from Lowes/HD if you don't want to go back in with pourable

Second... when rebuilding the aft seating, what would be the best core material, plywood or foam? I'm trying to lighten her up.

I'd stick with 1/2" ply with a layer of glass on it.

Third... Is the transom just lamenated ply thats adhered to the outer skin (oh yeah, it's a sterndrive), or is it sandwiched and I'm not seeing it properly? it appears to me to be the first.

Don't know

Fourth... Any reason I can't add a locker in the deck for extra storage?

Sure! I added one to mine. Quite handy. http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2506.jpg ebay and greatlakesskipper.com are good sources for hatches.

Fifth... can i cut sections of the stringer caps off and hawg out the rotting stringers and replace with seacast instead of wood?

Yes. It has been done on here a couple times.

howlnmad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. I guess I'd better get out my pen and paper and start my shopping list. I have to admit that I'm a bit nervous. I know I can do the work but I have to talk myself into starting.

I've checked out quite a few resto projects and picked up some great ideas. I hope I can get her looking just half as good as the ones I've looked at.

Will try to get some pics but I am totally computer stupid. Maybe I can get my daughter to do it for me :D.

petermarcus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For the transom, you can look on my thread in my signature. I have a '94 capri, but it's an open bow. Our transoms may be similar.

I did a lot of head-scratching about my transom, but it does seem like mine is just molded hull (poly/glass) about 1/4" to 1/2" thick with three slabs of plywood attached, instead of a piece of wood that spans the whole stern.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Is your boat a outboard or I/O? If you are doing the stringers with seacast, you might consider just doing the transom as well.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Create an account on photobucket.com and upload your pictures there. You can then just link to them from here. Best way to do it and even a caveman can do it :p

howlnmad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Isaacm,
It's a sterndrive. I was checking out a thread by lowkee and his looked to be laminated ply and glued and glassed to the outer skin.

ezmobee,
you don't get it. I can turn the computer on and get to my few forums but after that... I'm screwed. I do most of my posting from my cell pkone.

As far as the seat boxes go... 1/2 ply with a layer of csm will work?

JAFO1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Create an account on photobucket.com and upload your pictures there. You can then just link to them from here. Best way to do it and even a caveman can do it :p
Even an Aggie can do it. (That would be me)

What Im doing on my stringers is leaving a little trough to line the stringers up into. What happened on my boat was the glass up the sides of the stringers just made a cup to hold the water and rot the plywood.

howlnmad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay, I talked my daughter into showing me how to post pics. Now we just have to be home at the same time :D.

As to the materials I'll be needing. I'm going to go with poly I guess, unless the majority thinks epoxy would be better. What cloth am I going to need for the deck and stringers? Am I correct in assuming csm will be good for the seat boxes and transom?
Sorry if some of these questions seem menial but I've never done glass on wood.