Light Required at Night When Docked

toddmanqa

Recruit
Hello, new to boating.

I will be renting a small fishing boat for use on a landlocked lake in upstate NY. The boat is 16', aluminum, and will be docked at night to a dock attached to the side of the lake.

I've read that I have to have a Stern Light on sunset to sunrise, even if not moving, and a red/green light on the bow when moving sunet to sunrise.

My question is, do I have to have the stern light on when docked at night?

Thanks,
Todd

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Light Required at Night When Docked

This regulation would apply if you were anchored or stopped in a body of water, but not if you were docked.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Red/Green bow with white stern light while underway.

White 360 degree while at anchor in/near navigable waterways.

Nothing required while at a fixed dock.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It seems that 90% of the pleasure boaters here who must not normally boat at night leave their bow lights on too while anchored. Isnt that ridiculous ?
The fisher folks who probably do more night boating dont seem to have that problem.

flycaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It seems that 90% of the pleasure boaters here who must not normally boat at night leave their bow lights on too while anchored. Isnt that ridiculous ?
The fisher folks who probably do more night boating dont seem to have that problem.

My light switch is wired so in one position - the bow lights are illuminated, middle position- - switch off, third position - Anchor light AND bow lights illuminated. Factory wiring.

sasto

Captain

No light needed.........have fun!

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I fish exclusively at night and always leave my bow and stern lights on I honestly can't say I have ever seen anyone running just a stern light at anchor.

The problem would be for me that I would certainly forget to turn on the bow lights when I move, it is just easier to leave them all on all the time.

PGFISHER

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bow lights are for when you are undeway. If you're powered or drifting they must be on; when at anchor, leaving them on is confusing and in most states, against statutes.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

My light switch is wired so in one position - the bow lights are illuminated, middle position- - switch off, third position - Anchor light AND bow lights illuminated. Factory wiring.

Might be factory but sounds like the bow and stern lights are wired backwards. The 3 position switch on my boat is; OFF, Stern, All On.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

I fish exclusively at night and always leave my bow and stern lights on I honestly can't say I have ever seen anyone running just a stern light at anchor.

The problem would be for me that I would certainly forget to turn on the bow lights when I move, it is just easier to leave them all on all the time.

Bow lights must be off while anchored. That way other boats will know you aren't going to move.

Other boats approaching you need to know if you are moving and which direction you are moving. (This is why you have a red light on one side and a green light on the other.)

At the dock, no lights are required.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

You need to follow the prescribed lighting rules. It's the only way a boat that's underway knows what you're up to.

360 deg, white anchor light when anchored. One light only.
All lights on when underway or drifting.

Anything else is both illegal and a danger to other boaters. It's disorienting enough at night without people adding confusion.

Splat

Lieutenant

The problem is if your navigating at night in a semi-busy area, an someone sees your lights on they will assume your moving and make corrections to avoid you. this cn create problems in busy waterways

Although I give credit to the OP for asking the question, this is the prime example while I think people need to complete a basic boating course before they can rent or operate a boat. This is what makes makes the ewaterways so dangerous. Anyone can go out and rent a boat, or even worse become a weekend warrior on a jetski without even the most basic skill set pertaining to boating.

this isn't intended for the OP at all, just a rant.

Bill

rwidman

Lieutenant

I use an anchor light at night or in fog when anchored and I use my navigation lights when underway at night or in fog.

Those are the rules. If you visit an area where bigger boats anchor for the night, you will see them displaying just an anchor light when anchored.

If we see a boat with just an anchor light, we know it's anchored. If it displays navigation lights, we know it's underway. Or that the captain doesn't know the regulations.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Might be factory but sounds like the bow and stern lights are wired backwards. The 3 position switch on my boat is; OFF, Stern, All On.

I agree. There is never a time for just the bow (red and green) lights to be on.

Just to be clear, the "anchor" light does not have to be at the stern. It does have to be a certain vertical distance above the navigation lights.

For that matter, the navigation lights do not have to be on the bow.

Summer Fun

Banned

do I have to have the stern light on when docked at night?
NEVER !!. if you're at the dock. Or are you talking about being ANCHORED out in open waters ???

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My boat has that same 3 way switch and I only burn the anchor/all around light when I'm stopped.
My wife always reminds me to turn the bow lights back on and the bow lights are right in my face on my closed bow runabout.
I guess I am doing it wrong though to because I rarely throw an anchor at night while "drifting". Course I am always aware of who is coming toward me and honestly after it gets dark around here on lake Michigan there is nobody. Save for a few fishing folks and I'm not usually in the fishing areas. I like to be out in the weeds and out of the way by myself.

Tell ya I have boated a few inland lakes and there we encountered vessels burning no lighting and I tell ya I rather have people leaving all there lights on all the time then using no lights at all.
Sometimes when we are out there all alone on that big ole lake in the dark that all around anchor light can get a bit annoying and as tempting as it is to turn it off for a little while we never do.

I always stand at night while underway, the all around anchor light glare on the wind screen can make visibility kinda poor and I'm all about being safe out there.

Another amazing thing is the crafts people trust their life too on a lake like Michigan. Almost got taken out at the dock today by an errant higher HP 1955 JohnnyRude being started with starting fluid today. :rolleyes:

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I honestly can't say I have ever seen anyone running just a stern light at anchor.

This needs to be clarified. Stern lights are on when the boat is underway (along with bow lights). This allows other vessels to identify the the vessel is actually moving in a navigable waterway and all precautions should be taken to avoid a collision.

Anchor lights are not always located on the stern. They are to be located at the highest point of the vessel (possibly on a t-top or radar arch) and must be viewable from 360 degrees. This, along with the absence of red/green lights, lets other vessels know that the boat is stationary.

Do NOT leave your red/green & stern lights on while at anchor.

Your lighting switch (as mentioned) should be a 3 position switch:
OFF
ON (bow/stern)
ANCH (white anchor)

Doernuth

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since everyone is so knowledgeable about the lighting requirements I have an additional question, not intending to hijack and its related.

I have a 1977 Sea Ray 260 (26' 6"). The lights are wired like this. a three position switch. Pos one is off all lights. Pos 2 is the post light on the windshield lit 360 degrees (anchor light). Pos 3 is my question, It is Nav Lights in front, both red and green, stern light in rear and the back section of the Anchor light but not the forward approx 270 degrees of the anchor light. Is this OK? Do I need to rewire?

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

And guys, if you are gonna anchor in a channel(not too smart), make sure your light can be seen all the way around you, not just from behind. We almost hit some moron anchored in the middle of the St John's River fishing in the dark. He actually didnt even have a stern light on either, but...................

Luckily we werent going very fast, but I have seen boats go through that area at full speed before. That would have been a dissaster.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

Doernuth "Is this OK?" Yes
"Do I need to rewire?" No

Mine is the same (switches to stern light only) Higher more visible than just the light on the transom.