Seloc Manuals

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
Are the Seloc repair manuals any good? Looking for the best 'good to have' book on the semi-basics. Not wanting to get the service manual volumes (& volumes & volumes). Just want to hear the general concensus on them.

Thanks!

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Seloc Manuals

In my limited experience with a 5.0 Mercruiser and Alpha 1, they're better than Clymer, but not as good as factory manuals. You can download PDF versions of certain Merc manuals. Look at the "Adults Only" stickies.

Bifflefan

Commander

Seloc's are fine. Most on here dont like them, but i do.
There are tons of manual's in main sections of the engine sections.
From what I have seen tho, the seloc is just a photo copy of the factory manual for the most part.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

In my limited experience with a 5.0 Mercruiser and Alpha 1, they're better than Clymer, but not as good as factory manuals. You can download PDF versions of certain Merc manuals. Look at the "Adults Only" stickies.

Unfortunately, the manuals were pulled 2 days before I got the boat. I 'missed the boat' on the manuals. If you (or anyone) grabbed them, I would sure appreciate a copy for the Mercruisers. I have an '84 170/488 with an Alpha I Gen I

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Both SELOC and CLYMER Manuals for outboards fall far short of being a complete, accurate references for any particular model.

I have no experience with either for I/Os, but for outboards I always recommend the factory Manual or authorized reprint.

riptide09

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some will disagree but the Seloc for my 2003 Johnson 115 HP has been fine for the work I have needed to perform.