'98 Johnson Ficht 150HP Check Engine light after towing tube

steelWALKERwife

Recruit
My husband and I have a 1998 Grumman 22' Sport deck,
last week while on the lake we towed 3 small children (all under 70lbs ea) on a tube ("Y" - tow strap attached to transom hooks).

After approximately 20 minutes of towing, we began to head in to camp. Once we slowed down and began to lower the trim, the alarm sounded and check engine light came on. The alarm only sounded for less than a minute.

And in under a few minutes the check engine light went off also.

Later that evening, headed to the dock, the motor did the same thing when the trim was put down. While cruising at a good speed with the trim up at 50% or higher, there were no alarms, no check engine lights.

Does this mean the trim motor is going out?

Any help is appreciated,

steelWALKERwife

San Diego, CA

jonesg

Admiral
Re: '98 Johnson Ficht 150HP Check Engine light after towing tube

You could order the software and cable for a laptop (Ebay) and read the codes stored in the onboard computer, most people who don't like DIY work have a dealership read the codes.

You might be right, the trim might be drawing too much current and tripping the code. Its plausible.

Theres a low tech method of reading codes by using a jumper wire and counting the number of flashes at the dash on the tach, I don't know exactly what the method is but someone must, wait and see if one of the experts jumps in.

steelWALKERwife

Recruit

Will do--thanks.

In addition to the above information....

The trip prior to the alarm sounding/check engine light, a friend got our prop pretty good on the concrete launch. This resulted in some decent sized knicks on each blade tip....possibly related? :confused:

SteelWalkerWife
San Diego, CA

BluefishBoy

Cadet

The check engine light is most probobly a fuel restriction as I have recently found out on my 99 ficht. Check your water seperating filter, and primer bulb. Both are cheap and its a good idea to replace them periodically anyway.. worked for me, no more light.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The check engine light is most probobly a fuel restriction as I have recently found out on my 99 ficht..

The FICHT engines do not have a fuel restriction alarm like the carbureted V-6's do.

The most common cause for a CHECK ENGINE light is water in the engine fuel filter. Other causes are low voltage, too high voltage, overheated ECU/EMM, and throttle position sensor out of spec. Injector and ignition faults also turn on the light and warning horn.