Dry dock running 165 Merc inline 6

vernbatley

Cadet
I had no desire to own a boat, until my son in law purchased a jet ski. After nearly drowning myself, I decided a boat would better suit my wife and I. I know have a Mark Twain with 165 Merc. Got it cheap because the engine was freeze cracked, rounded up another engine and have it installed. I have a question about running the engine on dry land. While the out drive is off, I determined I could hook the garden hose directly to the engine and run the valves, set timing, etc. No issues until I turned the water on and filled the cylinders with H2o. I realize the manifold is most likely causing this, but are there any issues with the hose hook up I'm doing? Thanks for your input.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Dry dock running 165 Merc inline 6

Welcome aboard! ;)

Yes, you can run the engine on a stand as you describe. Be sure to pull the plugs and turn the engine over to get the water out as soon as you can. Pour some oil in the cylinders to lube it good.

Check / change the oil as well.

Replace the manifold and get it started as soon as you can to get any remaining water out.

Good luck!

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

a bad riser and mating surfaces from the manifold to the riser can cause issues.. your plumbing the water to the inlet at the thermostat housing right ? ( the one that points to the back of the engine ?)

ps I had a new manifold a couple weeks crack on me the first time out, noticed the engine temp rising, a little steam from the stern and a miss fire.. contacted the company I bought from and they swapped it out, just had to pay shipping to them.

vernbatley

Cadet

a bad riser and mating surfaces from the manifold to the riser can cause issues.. your plumbing the water to the inlet at the thermostat housing right ? ( the one that points to the back of the engine ?)

ps I had a new manifold a couple weeks crack on me the first time out, noticed the engine temp rising, a little steam from the stern and a miss fire.. contacted the company I bought from and they swapped it out, just had to pay shipping to them.
Plumbed just as you questioned. Engine ran for about a minute, has some carb issues as well. Shut it off and tried to restart before realizing it had taken on water. Hope nothing is bent. Took the head and pan off this engine before installing, expecting it to need a major rebuld. To my surprise the pistons were stamped 060 and the lower end was clean and fresh. Checked it over good, put it back together and into the boat. I'm an old auto machine shop and parts guy, but this boat stuff is a new frontier for me. Gonna be lots of questions! Thanks

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

your carb is a little smaller than a small block chev, but same thing.
about 1.25-1.5 turns of the idle mix screw.

when I got mine, the engine was a '74 nova, and the #6 rod was slighly bent with a slight twist..

Hope you didn't bend a rod either, if you want to check it, you'll need to pull the head and put a depth gauge to them.

Do you know if the head has Hardened seats ?

vernbatley

Cadet

I have no idea on the hard seats. While the engine came out of a boat, with Merc 160 HP valve cover and the manifold, its block was the old chevy blue and the head black. Automotive fuel pump and HEI with divorced coil. I installed the point distributor for now. I have the original Merc head and another 250 head of unknown origin. Also have two cracked blocks! I do have a wiring issue, no current to the coil when the switch is in the run position. Any thoughts on that?