Boat Support boards

z1nonlyone

Seaman
Hi, I am in need of replacing the long "planks" that support the boat on the trailer. I don't know what these are called exactly, but I think you get the idea.

Anyway, what are most of you using? Wood? Presure treated wood, etc??
Then I guess indor/outdoor carpet is stapled around it.

Any help would be good.

19.5' Chaparral w/5.7 EFI

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat Support boards

They are called bunk boards. Carpeted PT 2x4s or 2x6s.

Equilibrium

Recruit

I got tired of replacing bunks and carpet so I found a good long term solution. I bought the composite deck material in 2x6. It will never rot. Then I bought a product called EZ-Slide from the Grainger store in town. I sanded the composite material smooth and painted them with several coats of EZ-Slide. The bunks are smooth and slick as can be and the boat slides on/off really nice. Doesn't leave any rub marks on the hull and I'll never have to replace the bunks again. Costs a couple bucks but I don't have to waste my summer days replacing bunks when I could be fishing. Summers short in AK.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

While the composite stuff is great for rot resistance it isn't so great as far as strength is concerned. Depending on how far apart your bunk supports are and how long the bunks are be very careful using it. I have a 20' crownline and my bottom bunks are 10' long with only 3 supports, here in utah on a 100 deg day the composite decking would be drooped down between the supports. Not doing their job at all, just use a good straight pressure treated 2X and some decent carpet with stainless staples good hardware to mount with you should get 10 years or so out of it if done right.

I just replaced mine (9ft long with three supports) with pressure treated 2 X 6 decking.

I was thinking about the composite too, but after posting here and doing some investigation on my own, I also decided that with a little over 4 ft between my supports that it was too much of a span to cover with composite. At least for my taste.

The new pressure treated wood will corrode fasteners pretty quick, so I used stainless lag bolts to attach the bunks, and stainless staples to attach the carpeting. Arrow makes dedicated marine staples, but it says right on the box that the coating the use on them is not acceptable for pressure treated wood, so I just bought the plain stainless.

I can let you know in a few years how they are holding up!:D

rockin ronnie

Recruit

just as utahboatnut stated pres treated 2x with a good carpet works best have replaced several sets just bye others seeing mine and asking were i got them use a stainless bolt and staples and you will get many years out of them. the plus with wood they will give a little if hit I use a carpet with pad made on it. they are not used to carry the boat but to keep it level on trailer!

pluto1

Cadet

I got tired of replacing the pressure treated bunks on my trailer. the acid in the wood would corrode the galvanized holders . The carpet on the bunks made it difficult to launch my Jon-boat. Here is what I did. Expensive but worked for me!
I went to a exotic wood importer and bought two 2x4's by 8' of (Epay wood).This is also known as Brazilian walnut. It is very dense and will not rot. I put new brackets and the Epay on my trailer and then attatched strips of polyethylene along the lenght of the wood. Now when I launch my boat I have to take the bow rope and loop it several time around the top of the wench before I unhook the boat at the ramp. It just slides right off. Wish I had done this years ago.
Total cost for the wood was $67.00 but I will never have to replace again!