Shifting issues - I hate outboards

knehdn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Shifting issues - I hate outboards

O. M. G. ... I gotta watch this thread closely. I've got the exact same motor. I just ordered a carb kit, a fuel pump kit, an impeller, and spark plugs along with a pair of spares. I hope mine works OK once I get it all back together. The impeller housing was a bit bent but was able to fix that with JB Weld. Got the autochoke figured out..... now while I'm waiting on the parts, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

doomanmxz99

Seaman

I have 1963 40hp and I put some work into,new powerhead, impeller and took the whole lower unit apart since I had it off, 3 years of minor maintence and she fires up everytime and goes to beat the band. Dont count your motor out yet they are great once you get them repaired and then should be little to but maintain.

ChrisAG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I definitely need something newer, but the insane prices just are too much...

You don't have to buy brand-new. Are you trying to say you can't afford something newer than 49 years old? As has been stated by others, you are expecting way too much from a piece of machinery that was built before John Glenn was launched into orbit (the first time).

Something from the late 1970's (when CDI ignition came into play) to early nineties can be had for not much money, will likely be more reliable (if you take the time to search for one that has been well maintained) and parts will be plentiful and relatively cheap.

Our family has had lots of great, reliable outboards:
1965 Evinrude 6 (still going, but finally lost compression a couple of years ago)
1967 Evinrude 40 (was still running well when it was sold ten years ago)
1978 Johnson 15 (thrashed mercilessly for 4 seasons, then stored for 25 seasons, recently brought out of storage, serviced & runs like new)
1990 Mercury 8 (runs perfectly)
1998 Evinrude FICHT 115 V4 (runs great)

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

what did you pay for the motor when you got it?

maybe I have been lucky, but I used a 1958 5.5 and a 1954 15 hp for 5 winters duck hunting in salt water..

back then i never flushed them, tuned them, checked the LU oil...

and they fired right up almsot every time..i took the 5.5 in for a tune up once..

traded them away...I did that with an 1963 18 hp a 1983 30 and finally a 2001 50 hp...( the 50 blew through 3 LU in 4 years though)

I think it was a bad designed LOWER UNIT

I picked up a 1980 50 evinrude out of an alumninum scrap pile my welder had...someone gave it to him and he was going to sell it as scrap...

I bought it for $100 for the LU..

but i tried starting it first for S&G... and it fired right up...ran a little hot...new thermostat... and she is running like a top!!

more times than not outboards just keep on running despite stupid owners.

so dont knock outboards... you are just on a bad run..

a little knowledge goes a LONG way to HELPING you get a good used motor.

I thin k for sure you have a claim against the mechanic for the latest LU failure

any rebuild has to be guaranteed to run several hours!!!!!!!!!

and with out hitting anything it has to all be on him!!

when nyou find a good mechanic ...dont belittle or nit pick with him..pay him and thank him and tell him how great he is and he will take care of you

good luck

bob

bigpoppakdog

Chief Petty Officer

I paid $700 for my 1970 115 evinrude three years ago. This year a head gasket blew, but other than that she has treated me very well.

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

I recently had a 97 evinrude 50 LU go out on me. Used was impossible to find and rebuilt was about as much as the whole package (boat motor trailer) cost me! I traded it to a mechanic for a rebuilt 77 evinrude 55. plus cash of course. Now I'm working out the kinks in this motor but my mechanics been good about it and provided replacement parts free of charge. (I provided the labor). There's something wrong w/ those small gearcases; I heard it plenty looking for a replacement. Anyways aborg, you shouldn't hate outboards bc a run of bad luck. As bob said that lower unit work was probably faulty, maybe there was no oil in it! thats how they are shipped. If you were stuck with an IB or IO, power and gearcase issues are much worse!!! Its hard to work on a motor mounted in a hole!!

aborgman

Petty Officer 1st Class

You don't have to buy brand-new. Are you trying to say you can't afford something newer than 49 years old? As has been stated by others, you are expecting way too much from a piece of machinery that was built before John Glenn was launched into orbit (the first time).

Something from the late 1970's (when CDI ignition came into play) to early nineties can be had for not much money, will likely be more reliable (if you take the time to search for one that has been well maintained) and parts will be plentiful and relatively cheap.

Good running late 1970's era johnnyrudes in the 30-40hp range seem to go for about $1000-$2000 around here. A 1961 like mine that runs (not necessarily well, but you can start it in a bucket and it shifts) will get $500+.

That is outside any sort of short term spending range I have, especially when you figure the thing is probably going to need a few hundred dollars worth of work before you really want to take it out.

knehdn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea... I've noticed people are asking quite a bit for some of the motors for sale around here. I guess I was lucky when I paid a grand for a 16' aluminum utility with a (same as yours) '61 Johnson 40hp RDS-23. When I get my parts in, I'll let you know how things work out. Just remember that when testing it, you need to tank it. Not knowing any better about these motors, I first had the muffs set up but was quickly told (thank you BK) that was a no-no.

Attachments

• deck off5.jpg
    deck off5.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 0

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Nice rig for a g note, here in Ottawa those old 40's can be had for around $200.