Twin Evinrudes....one not starting???

Hello,

I have twin 1995 Evinrude Ocean Pro 150hp. Been on it maybe two times a week this season and all has been running great. Went out last night and the Starboard engine didn't want to start. It would begin to turn over then sounded like the starter was just spinning with no combustion. Other engine is running fine at this point and still is so I don't think it is a gas problem, both bulbs firm as well. I was able to get it to start with it in nuetral and throtled up but it would stall when I backed it down to idle. Tilted it up for 5 minutes then tried it again and it started. Let it run for 2 minutes then shut it down to put cover back on and restarted fine. Ran about 5 miles then sat for 2 hours and when I tried to restart it all it did was spin, no sounds from combustion. Where to start? Power Pack, starter, spark plugs, carbs?
Also, when I turn the key to crank it I can smell fuel so I think it is getting some.

Thanks,

JPA

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Twin Evinrudes....one not starting???

OK, You are troubleshooting one of two motors. The advantage is that stuff they share, is not the issue. So do they share fuel supply? Batteries? Water seperator(s)? Give us some hint, to help narrow it down. Right now it sounds like a fuel/carb issue, but is could be water in the gas or something electrical.

Both engines run off same fuel tank but have different filter/seperators. I have a new starting and deep cycle battery in the boat as of this spring that they both run off of.
Will get to boat later today to double check battery connections and swap out filters to check what is in the bowls, it is time to put new one in anyways. Will also check plugs to see condition.

May have found a lead

May have found a lead

Ok, I got to the boat and checked the batteries, wires look tight and in decent shape. Pulled all the plugs and they looked wet and a bit dirty. Then tested for spark, No spark at all from top two wires. Didn't bother testing further. I have heard these engines have a reputation of burning out Power Packs. Should I start there or is there something else I should be looking at?
Plug wires look to be on newer side and are in great condition. Will need new plugs but need some spark first.

JPA

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I would swap the packs to see if the problem follows. If it does, you know your pack is no good.

When these packs fail it is sometimes due to a small amount of voltage being applied to the black/yellow kill wire at the pack. That is easily tested if you want. If it is the pack let us know and we can figure out a possible reason as to why it blew.

I took the plastic cover off the power pack this afternoon but didn't have time to make the switch. To swap the pack out, do I just remove the 3 bolts and disconnect the wires? How do I perform the test you referenced?

Thanks for the response HT,

JPA

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I am thinking why not just go ahead and check all the plugs wires for spark. you need to get raw data and doing half checks just means youll need to go back..if it is one or two wires not getting spark it could be a whole different problem than if all are not getting spark..

are you checking spark with the plug in or using a spark tester??

I doubt 6 plugs all go bad at the same time...but you really should do a step by step check as you go...

might as well check compression for future info while you have the plugs out checking for spark.....

I have some ocean pros/runners, and they use the same ignition system, so I am interested in how this turns out..

good luck

bob

Yes, you are right I should have done the test on all and I did use a spark tester. I had the luxury of an engine tech from my marina there and he basically said I didn't need to continue testing or I probably would have. Not sure why he said stop but i beleived him. His gut said power pack but I have not tested it or swapped it out.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

in case you dont have the book here is the page on the power packs

4rewdk.jpg

2rm41s6.jpg

good luck

bob

Thanks Bob! Very nice to see that page. My manual is different or maybe I have not seen that page. I am going to get it ready for a machanic to test tomorrow morning to make sure it is the pack then depending on the result swap it out for a new one. They said they have a gismo that can test the Power Pack but it is not 100% reliable. Will let you know what happens. They also recommended replacing the sensor with it if that is the issue which would then require them to check the timing as I have never done that, nor do I have the stuff.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Thanks Bob! Very nice to see that page. My manual is different or maybe I have not seen that page. I am going to get it ready for a machanic to test tomorrow morning to make sure it is the pack then depending on the result swap it out for a new one. They said they have a gismo that can test the Power Pack but it is not 100% reliable. Will let you know what happens. They also recommended replacing the sensor with it if that is the issue which would then require them to check the timing as I have never done that, nor do I have the stuff.

that is the OMC 1995 factory manual for 60 degree looper 90, 115, 150 150C and 175 hp engines.. which ocean pros and ocean runners were in that year.

the optical sensor is specific to the OIS ignition system...probably expensive and labor intensive to replace!!

good luck

bob

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Dont make this more complicated than you need to.

Check spark on all cylinders. If one bank is out, simply swap the PP's and see if the problem follows the pack. If it does, replace pack.

IF you are not sparking on any cylinders, the PP is not your likely candidate.

Let us know what you find.

Thanks for the advice and responses.
Spent 1.5 hrs with the Evinrude mechanic this morning. Tested compression and spark on all 6. Compression was fine but no spark as expected on any. Ran through the service manual recomended testing algorithm for no spark. Results were dead Power Pack and bad optical sensor. Mechanic said about 1.5-2hrs to repair and do timing adjustments. All said, not to bad, although I could get the parts cheaper myself but don't have stuff or know-how for timing adjustments or a clue on the sensor replacement. Sensor is actually the cheaper part.