nissan 9.9 nsfb oil leak

keydup

Recruit
I have the above motor, 9.9 4 stroke. I have an oil leak on the left side of the motor, there is a fitting on the top of the cylinder with a tube that connects to the bottom of the cylinder, just above and behind where the oil dipstick is. I have what apprears to be a crack in the fitting that goes into the bottom of the cylinder. How does this come out, it doesn't appear to have a wrench fitting on it, I don't want to break it off.

keydup

Recruit
Re: nissan 9.9 nsfb oil leak

Thanks, I have the parts and owners manual, it just lists the tube and clips, wondering about removal/replacement of the fitting. More of a "how to".

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Does the parts book show the fitting as available as a separate part?

keydup

Recruit

no, it does not have a part number. I talked to a service/parts guy today, he said he thought he had one, but to take it out and bring it in to make sure to get the correct one. I'm just not sure about removing it. He said it was a brass insert into the engine with a plastic fitting swedged onto it. Said the plastic would break off before I got the brass part out, just wishing someone had done this and would know a "trick" or if it was going to be fairly easy...

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Okay...Then that part is not available and is NOT designed to be removed as you cannot buy a replacement one from Tohatsu. You would need to buy the assembly from ye local Tohatsu dealer.

pvanv

Admiral

Your dealer may be able to buy the nipple for you. I believe it is used on several models, and is auto-destructing on removal, since the press-fit of the brass tube into the block is stronger than the plastic elbow.. They will probably have to call Nissan Marine in Dallas to get the proper part.

keydup

Recruit

Thanks for the reply, the trick is now getting the brass part out, it is not coming out easy, I am doing my best to not break it. Any tips on this?

pvanv

Admiral

I did one last year... Crushed the brass down with vise-grips to get it to release from the block, and then pulled it out like a bad tooth ;-)

keydup

Recruit

FINALLY! got it out tonight, had to use a "back out" screw removal tool, screwed it in, got it turning and just kept turning and working it out. The outside brass part was destroyed. Glad it's done!