Cam upgrade... VOLVO 5.0

BakerHDF150

Cadet
What are some good options for a camshaft for this motor? Any vids or anything of their lope? Another good question I have is... Usually in cammed cars, it puts the power all up top so how does having a cammed boat engine do for pulling skiers up, tubes, etc. You really need that low end power. Any thoughts? Thanks guys!

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Cam upgrade... VOLVO 5.0

No real options for camming a 5.0 or most marine engines for that mater unless your willing to gamble with reversion issues. The best upgrade for a 5.0 is a 5.7.

45Auto

Commander

Make sure you're familiar with reversion before putting a hot cam in your boat with a "wet" exhaust. Wet exhaust means that water is mixed with the exhaust, like on your Volvo 5.0. That "lopey" idle usually means lots of valve overlap, which will make your motor happier at high RPM. But sucking water back through your intake valves isn't good for your motor. There's a reason boat cams have less overlap than automotive cams. The paragraph below is from a Mercruiser bulletin about reversion from 2001:
All engines have valve overlap, even 4 cylinder engines. Gen+ V6 and V8 engines have more valve overlap than the older engines. The higher horsepower big block V8 engines have more than the base big block engines. This ?valve overlap? coupled with the ?tuning? of the boat?s exhaust system can cause water ingestion. Valve overlap is more likely to cause water ingestion at idle or low engine rpm than it is at higher engine rpm.
This Tech Tip from Crane Cams warns about the same thing:
Tech Tip

If you're planning on trying to improve the performance of your boat this spring or if you have a customer just rebuilding his engine, check these few things first. When choosing a cam for a marine engine, the first thing you need to know is the type of exhaust that is being used.. There are several different types of marine exhaust systems which determine how big a camshaft you can use. If you have exhaust logs or underwater exhaust, you must use a cam with no overlap at .050" lift because of the back pressure created by the water in the exhaust system. If you have a through hull or above water exhaust system, you can choose a cam with up to 4 - 6 degrees of overlap at .050" lift. If you have double wall or water jacketed pipes that mix the water and exhaust at the end of the tailpipe, you can usually use any cam that would best match the compression and RPM that you want to prop the boat to at maximum speed. So make sure before you or your customer choose a camshaft, that you know what type of exhaust is in the boat. You don't want to end up with water in your engine.

BakerHDF150

Cadet

Yeah i knew it would be a different ordeal. I just built my Supercharged mustang motor so i figured i would ask. But it seems that its not as easy as just swapping the cam as on most regular old pushrods. It already has a nice sound to it because of the side exhaust. Its an 05 Crownline LPX. Just wanted to ask as ive seen a couple that were loping their *** off on youtube.

zbnutcase

Commander

Better off keeping the cam and upgrading the heads!

JJJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You might be able to go to a higher ratio rocker without issues - they generally increase lift with very little increase in duration.
Often just using a higher ratio on the intake can help.

Now I don't know what comes stock on the 5.0 so this is all just a suggestion.

BakerHDF150

Cadet

Good deal, thanks for the advice. Its really appreciated as i am one of those go fast auto guys. lol. 543rwhp supercharged mustang. Im sure ill be keeping it stock in that case. Any other ways to get more out of the motor? Anyone put on centrifugal blowers on these motors? Probably not too often but just wondering?

fossill

Chief Petty Officer

As the saying goes theres no replacement for displacement. If you want more power the 5.7L is the way to go running a Merc High 5 prop.

a70eliminator

Captain

As the saying goes theres no replacement for displacement. If you want more power the 5.7L is the way to go running a Merc High 5 prop.

Yep, go with a bigger hammer and get the job done.
Just keep that 5.0 in good tune and keep it as is the engineers knew what they doing.

BakerHDF150

Cadet

Yeah, sounds like i will be leaving it alone. It runs like a champ. Just talking options. Thanks for all your help fella's.

PS: Boost is the replacement for displacement. ;)