Just as I dropped the Anchor..... a girl on the boat says "we need to go back in"

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer
Just as I dropped the Anchor..... a girl on the boat says "we need to go back in"

God these types of people drive me insane.

Today I was supposed to go out on the boat with "Erin" at 2pm.

Erin texted me and said "Can Jen Come? She's having a bad day."

Of course I say "sure"

2pm comes and goes, I get a text "sorry Jen is holding me up we'll be there in 10"

2:30 shows up and there they are.

This is Jens first time on a boat! Awsome! She's having a blast. We Throw the anchor after the 30/40 min ride out to an island.

She gets a phonecall that someone who is coming to visit is at her house and wants to hang out.

I specifically told Erin that we would head back in around 7 - she told Jen this too.

Apparently Jen's friend was supposed to call her before she left her house (which was about an hour away) so that Jen could tell her if she should leave or not.

Jen looks at me and goes "I don't know what to do"

Of course being a nice guy I say, "well lets have our food and we'll head back in" meanwhile inside I'm really not thrilled.

When we get back to the dock Jen is like "well can I come out monday? " HA HA, not likely!!! (no she's not hot)..

Have you guys ever had something like that happen to you? what'd ya do?

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Just as I dropped the Anchor..... a girl on the boat says "we need to go back in"

Re: Just as I dropped the Anchor..... a girl on the boat says "we need to go back in"

mine is only similar...

took an old work friend out last year.
like you, i had to wait for the other party.
like you, i had to go in early because they had to get back home.
unlike you, i had to drive my friend to the other side of the city, w/o dropping my boat off at my house. the lake is north of me. i live on the north side of the city. my friend lives on the way south side (way out of my way). so i take them home w/ boat in tow... :(

like you, they won't be coming out with me in the future...

in my friends defense. they did give me some gas money. it wasn't enough. nothing is enough when i'm out boating and i don't want to come in.

the new rules on my boat are. it's my boat, come along if ya want, but i ain't giving car rides w/boat in tow anywhere. i go out on my time frame and i come in on my time frame...

oh, same said party wanted to come out again with their family in tow... :eek:... that ain't happening either..

a70eliminator

Captain

Well sorta, last one was this, 14yr old daugter and her girlfriend invite two boys to go tubing with us, the boys are 1/2 late, daughter gets a text that they went to the swimming park and the kids mom won't bring them out and I need to go pick them up, needless to say it was just the two girls but they had a great time.
Should have a turn off cell phones on boat sign.

Summer Fun

Banned

I tell them that we're going out for this long & I'M not coming back any earlier no matter what !!!. :)
So far its worked out well. :)

ker

Cadet

Should have a turn off cell phones on boat sign.

I think i will have to go get one of those made!

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

YUP its happened. I had a sail boat (max speed 7 knots) we all loaded up and caught the outgoing 4 knot tide plus our 6 knot speed put us at 10 knots. we sailed through the jetties and let the current and following wind push us about 30 miles off shore. we had some beer and sandwitches and then the nurse on board said we need to head back soon I have to be at work in 2 hours. we had the wind on the nose and bucking a bit of tide. she was a bit late.

Thajeffski

YUP its happened. I had a sail boat (max speed 7 knots) we all loaded up and caught the outgoing 4 knot tide plus our 6 knot speed put us at 10 knots. we sailed through the jetties and let the current and following wind push us about 30 miles off shore. we had some beer and sandwitches and then the nurse on board said we need to head back soon I have to be at work in 2 hours. we had the wind on the nose and bucking a bit of tide. she was a bit late.

I was on a sail boat once when someone was like "ok so now that we're here, how do we get back THERE by 2?" as she pointed to land. we were 16 miles out and the wind was coming from the land. It was 30 mins till 2.

What sucked about today was of course I could have put my foot down and said "nope sorry" but then I'd have a passenger who hated me on board.

popo4fun

Seaman

I dont normally post here....just try to read and learn, but I had to add to this post. I have a 28ft rinker cruiser so once anchored I like to stay put for several hours. I never fails if we have a group with us....someone has to "go home" Luckly one of our friends has a little 18ft bayliner with a 4cyl engine. He is nice enough to shuttle people back and forth because I will not. ONe because my boat is to slow and too much of a hassel to do it and gas isnt cheap...lol.

I feel your pain bro.

Now if she was hot....well then my wife would drown her and me...lol

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

God these types of people drive me insane.

Have you guys ever had something like that happen to you? what'd ya do?

Try shooting (photography) 18 - 20 year old models who are not agency repped. They have more than "a habit" of not showing up. We call them "flakes." The flake excuses are the stuff of legend - especially when the girl forgets that she has already told 9 other photographers, that "her grandmother died." I never knew that models have cats for grandmothers! ;)

Eventually, we figure out who the flakes are though. Amazing how their modeling opportunities just seem to go away.

???

cr2k

Captain

Try this next time...Turn off the gas and gee it won't start, "wonder what's wrong. Oh well I'll call Triple B (cuz triple A only does cars) and it will take them about x hours to get here." Then when you are ready to return, "Oh hey I think I fixed it!" You get your boat time and they have an excuse.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I was on a sail boat once when someone was like "ok so now that we're here, how do we get back THERE by 2?" as she pointed to land. we were 16 miles out and the wind was coming from the land. It was 30 mins till 2.

What sucked about today was of course I could have put my foot down and said "nope sorry" but then I'd have a passenger who hated me on board.

Yup. Unfortunately there's no point in forcing the issue, it'll just mean a lousy time for everybody.

I really like the 'no cell phones' idea, but not even my wife would go along with it...

JZammetti

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, you guys make great arguments for NOT taking out friends.. My wife, daughter and sometimes my dad are the only ones that go boating with me and if I want to go for hours and hours we do. Oh, the only time we use a cell on board in to call my brother in law and tease him that we are on the water.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Ditto...no cell phones on board, except mine and I only check it occasionally. If you want to run and play you have to slip the leash, yes, even the electronic leash. If you can't live without the leash for a few hours, you're not riding with me.

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is where boating in a small lake is very handy. We go mostly to a 2 mile long lake that is literally 15 minutes in the water from me thinking about going, including hooking up the trailer, driving there, paying the guy, and launching. If someone wants to go in, I can drop them off at the dock in about 2 minutes.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

If for example we say we are leaving at 2 O'Clock then at 10 minutes after we are gone. Simple as that.

Thajeffski

If I didn't catch a ride with the girl and my own car was at the dock, I prob would have just dropped her off.

The best part was in the car right home Jen was going on and on about how she needs to take a nap.

I was ready to say 'YOU COULD HAVE TAKEN A NAP ON THE WATER!!'

mphy98

Lieutenant

I learned a long time ago that it is my boat, my schedule, and my time. I have left many a person at the dock if they were not on time. I just got tired of waiting for inconsiderate people. If that makes me a jerk so be it. BUT everyone who goes with has a great time. I just let everyone know in advance that I will not wait for them nor will we come in unless its an emergency.

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class

If its your boat and you want to go in early the guests just have to deal with it. If you're a passenger, you have to deal with the captains schedule. If I wasn't interested in the girl she would have just had to deal with it...

Thajeffski

If its your boat and you want to go in early the guests just have to deal with it. If you're a passenger, you have to deal with the captains schedule. If I wasn't interested in the girl she would have just had to deal with it...

Yeah, I def wasn't into this one. It was my friend Erin that I was into........so yeah, tough spot.

Summer Fun

Banned

Where are the pics of Erin ??. :D