good reason to have all your straps and chains on

jfadool

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just me and my girlfriend driving along and I see a guy gun it to get into a roundabout. Boat comes right off the back of the trailer.

All he had holding the boat on was the winch, no transom straps or safety chain. Good thing it was in a residential neighborhood at a stop sign not on the highway.

yes there are pictures complements of my girlfriend, but they were taken with a phone. I am in the green shirt:

on first arrival
0714002023.jpg

a few more people stopped to help, we got the bow on and winch attached
0714002025.jpg

truck in neutral, crank on the winch, people lifting
0714002028.jpg

all the way back on
0714002029.jpg

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: good reason to have all your straps and chains on

Did he have any straps for once you got it back on?

Did anyone tell him he's an idiot for towing his boat like that? (perhaps more tactfully)

if thats how he drives with his boat trailered i'd love to see him launch/ trailer his boat!

jfadool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No more straps were put on the boat after we got it back on. That scared me but I was not going to question the guy about it.

I did hear someone say that he needed a transom strap, I really hope he puts one on.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I hope so too!

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Another genius that thinks he can drive the same way with or without a trailer.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

Im a truck driver, and the amount of boats i see on the 15 freeway from cali to the river, havasu, and mead without transom straps is astounding. we are talkin nice, big $$$ boats with no stern tiedowns. its amazing.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like an idiot looking for a new village to live in !!!:D

md-lucky

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can't beleive people get away with that...

Around here, you WILL get a talk from Johnny Law if you pull without a safety chain and transom straps.

I personally know at least 1 guy that was pulled over for that very reason, and the cop almost made him leave the boat and trailer until he came back with straps for it. He said the cop practically followed him to the parts store.

jfadool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can't beleive people get away with that...

Around here, you WILL get a talk from Johnny Law if you pull without a safety chain and transom straps.

I personally know at least 1 guy that was pulled over for that very reason, and the cop almost made him leave the boat and trailer until he came back with straps for it. He said the cop practically followed him to the parts store.

I wish they would do that here, but here in Florida no such thing happens. Thus if I can't see all the straps on a boat I will not be anywhere near them on the road. Just not worth the risk