Tohatsu 3.5 service interval

Mark SF

Seaman
Hello,

I have a Tohatsu MFS3.5A which is doing about 20 hours a year. The maintenance schedule in the manual has some oddities, it seems to me :

It says to change the oil every 50 hours or 3 months whichever is SOONER. So that would result in me changing the oil every 5 hours. What would be a reasonable interval for my use? Every 6 months, or once a year maybe? It only takes 300 mls so the cost is not great anyway.

It also says to check the valve clearances. Is this necessary or can I leave it if the engine is quiet?

Thanks in advance

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu 3.5 service interval

Every 25 hours if being used. If not being used, once per year if being stored in a low humidity environment...Twice per year if being stored near water.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu 3.5 service interval

Hello,

I have a Tohatsu MFS3.5A which is doing about 20 hours a year. The maintenance schedule in the manual has some oddities, it seems to me :

It says to change the oil every 50 hours or 3 months whichever is SOONER. So that would result in me changing the oil every 5 hours. What would be a reasonable interval for my use? Every 6 months, or once a year maybe? It only takes 300 mls so the cost is not great anyway.

It also says to check the valve clearances. Is this necessary or can I leave it if the engine is quiet?

Thanks in advance

I have checked a lot of 3.5 valve lash settings, but never had to adjust them except after a repair or many hours.