Had a bad Sunday

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Had a bad Sunday

Hey Thad,
You need either a new or better chart(s) if you're killing that much stuff!!!! :) Or maybe slow down in uncharted waters. I stripped the polymer insert on my hub taking my boat out of lake lanier when the lake was down 20'. The only ramp open at that time was not well suited to taking out a 30' boat. When I drove onto the trailer, one of my props struck a stump at the end of the ramp. Shredded the inside of the polymer piece.

PGFISHER

Petty Officer 1st Class

Even so; the worst day boating is better than the best day at work.

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You called insurance for a prop? My deductibles are usually higher than that.

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

That thing pushed your boat along at 2 mph? That's pretty darn good.

Your story is definitely support for the argument to always carry a spare prop which i know I should but never do.

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class

You called insurance for a prop? My deductibles are usually higher than that.

I am assuming he opened a claim in case the drive is messed up and needs expensive work.

SeanT

Ah yes, that's my hands replying quicker than my brain.

I had something similar happen (on my old boat) and discovered the _next_ season that the prop shaft was bent. That was expensive.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Amazing....Maybe it was those aluminum Pirahna fish. Thay can be nasty buggers.

SeanT

It's really a good thing you were running an aluminum prop actually. A stainless steel prop would have DEFINITELY caused damage inside the leg as opposed to just maybe.

Ron-O

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am assuming he opened a claim in case the drive is messed up and needs expensive work.

Yep, that's why I called. I have a $500 deductible but called just in case. I figure an impeller, water pump plus labor.. Then if the shaft is bent the local boat shop said 400-500... For that I could get a SEI lower and have new...Insurance was ccool, they said fax an estimate and they will send a check. Must happen a lot around here.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

First was adding little Stabil to my gas, then dropped my gas cap wrench in the river..Ok, so I always carry extras, no bigger. Put the bimini top up and headed up river to the dam as always. Get close to the dam and see a barge headed through the locks, make a turn to head back since my son called and was going to meet me at the dock. 30 seconds later, sounded like my outdrive was coming off and the boat stopped dead. Ran into a sandbar. closer to a gravel and rock bar. Wife and daughter thought I detroyed the boat. After 10 minutes off trying to get the boat off the sandbar with a long pole. I jumped in the river and pushed the boat off. Jumped back in and started back to the dock.. 3000 rpms and the boat was only doing 2 mph. Made it to the dock, my son and I jumped in the river and removed the prop.. Nothing left of the fins. Ran home, picked up my other prop, back to the dock, then into the water and installed the spare. My son and I took a quick spin and everything seemed ok. Called the insurance company yesterday just to let them know and opened a claim, in case. They want me to pull the boat and have it checked as soon as possible..

I'm going to test it this weekend again.. temp seemed fine on the first test. Just wanna make sure nothing is bent. Anything else to look for?

Ron

ps.. Here's my "was brand new at the beginning of the season" prop..

37694_1381089686220_1201271565_937619_3630636_n.jpg

I have one just like that one on a shelf...first year with first boat...owned her for 9 years total and never a problem with the engine or lower unit ....I miss that old 85 RUDE !!

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

I agree - that's trophy shelf worthy for sure!

I was just pondering the other day that a nice shiny stainless would be fun to add to the goodie list. I'm going to pass I think.

Even after a few years on our lake I'm still learning its nooks and crannies. I've got the chart and a depth finder but it has a bottom like a mountain range and is not marked. 150 feet deep one second then 2 feet the next in a few spots. And except for a few beaches it's all made from good ol armour-plated Canadian Shield granite - the kind of rock in the background of my avatar pic.

Thanks for reminding me it's aluminum territory for sure. :D

Ron-O

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thought I'd post an update on the boat.

Talk to the shop today. Nothing bent or broke. Gears are all fine. Need a new impeller since I sucked up some sand. He said get another prop and put her back in the river. So $200 or so for labor and impeller, then need to order another prop. Thought it was going to be a lot more $$$$.

Hopefully back to boating this weekend.

Ron

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Always (read: always) carry a spare prop unless you have twin engines. What would you have done if the boat didn't move at all? I lost my SS prop miles off shore. Luckily, I had a spare or I would have been S.O.L.

P.S. You also need a floating prop wrench, spare nut, cotter pin, and possibly a thrust washer.